Solo x 18 owners

Participant count
  • Participant list

Spldecendant
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ny
What's the magic box size they like after displacement on about 4500w rms? I just got 2 solo x 18's the area in the back of my sub is 49w by 22.5h and 40d but I would need to be ported so I would say I can go like 37 deep and I'm going to be running a dc9k to 2 of them. I was thinking 7.5 cubic ft each but was unsure

They will never take that power on music. I have heard a ton of Solo Xs and know a bunch of people who own/have owned them and they do maybe 3k each daily TOPS. They just don't have the cooling.

7.5 Is close enough. I figure for 7.145 cubes to control a 30Hz tuning and about 5.614 each for around a 35Hz tuning (port characteristics obviously a factor also-but will not be given). With a port area smaller than the effective surface area of the cones, you should get great output keeping them under or around 7.5 each as mentioned. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yea I rethought how much power I wanna run probley like a dc 7.5k I have an ia40.1 right now for the brake in. Would 4 6inch aero ports facing the hatch be my best bet? Enough port area or 8inch areos

They will never take that power on music. I have heard a ton of Solo Xs and know a bunch of people who own/have owned them and they do maybe 3k each daily TOPS. They just don't have the cooling.
I have also owned a couple. I would say 8 cube on the small side per woofer. When I used them they did well tuned @ 40hz, they really quaked in the 50-55hz range. They have about the same cone area as a pair of round 15's so think about what port/volume would be adequate for that.

I played one (never had room for more than 1, though I owned 3 at one point) on Sundown 3K and it held up to that well for music. On a pair of 3K's the got stinky very very quickly. Really if you are abusive with them I'm confident you could break them at 2500W each pretty easily.

Yeah, they just cant take the power that other big subs can.

As for enclosure, go big and tune low. If I personally had one, Id go around 12 cubes and tune around 28hz.

I have also owned a couple. I would say 8 cube on the small side per woofer. When I used them they did well tuned @ 40hz, they really quaked in the 50-55hz range. They have about the same cone area as a pair of round 15's so think about what port/volume would be adequate for that.
I played one (never had room for more than 1, though I owned 3 at one point) on Sundown 3K and it held up to that well for music. On a pair of 3K's the got stinky very very quickly. Really if you are abusive with them I'm confident you could break them at 2500W each pretty easily.
I have 2 18's of them and at max the cargo area in my escalade is 49 wide 22.5h and like 37 deep I wanted to tune to like 35hz

This is for daily use and what you think I should tune to I still wanna be able to play lows without having to worrie about blowing the sub.......u think I be safe to play the 2 on the dc 7.5k voltage is not gonna drop below 14.5 and everything is gonna be set with the smd dd-1

If you use more of the port volume to control the response, you can cut down on compression volume and control the excursion more also, so you get a better balance between the power limitations and mechanical limitations if you are going daily. Just a thought. The volume will depend more on the entire design and limits. Not going against the others, just giving an option that will work well in your situation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.