So why is nobody talking about the Sundown full bridge amps?

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Picked up a couple 8Ks the other day. Initial testing is very promising. I did a 158.0 with just one (was doing 159.2 with the Soundigital 12K) driving my subs wired to .7 ohm. Added the second one both amps driving 1.4 ohm and put up a 159.3 today at a show. Really first day out with them but so far so good, they seem to make a lot of power, price is stupid cheap and comes with Sundown 2 year warranty through a local dealer which is nothing to sneeze at. I'm thinking Sundown is going to sell a lot of these.

This is one of those posts that intrigues me but I don't think I'm experienced enough to comment on, but I'll give it a freshman try... how efficient are they? How affordable are they? Orion HCCA amps make a point to state that they are >88% efficient; that's why I purchased one. I'd like to know how other big amps compare.

- Joe

The quality of them is better than Taramps. Guess they just haven't been out long enough to have alot of opinions. I would run one.

Alot of companies are jumping on the full bridge bandwagon now. Which is great IMO.

Agree....I really like them from what I’ve experience...I’m at .4 per sub and my box rise is on the low side and i wasn’t ready to swap out my sub stage/recone subs so went back to surfboard Koreans....but whenever I rebuild or recone I’ll more then likely switch it up

Orion HCCA amps make a point to state that they are >88% efficient;
I don't think you see those published efficiency numbers in a vehicle in real world conditions.

I'd expect the Sundown is comparable to all the other ones out there though, MSRP is 640$ for the 8K. Again, I think the big thing here is the price point for the Sundown warrany support.

They are following the trend and trying to make it better. More competition is good. newly redesigned and improvised tech is good. Just need to see them copy taramps smart 3k design and slap it on an 8k or 15k. I personally would love to see a smart 30k type of amp doing 30k from 1 ohm to 2 ohms from sundown. That would cause a lot of hardcore masturbation sessions.

Just need to see them copy taramps smart 3k design and slap it on an 8k or 15k.
I don't think they're selling enough big amps to put that much effort into those sizes. Not really sure how great of a feature that rail voltage limiting circuit is. JL has been doing it for 20 years now and not many others have followed suit trying to incorporate that into designs for some reason or another.

I believe that full-bridges are the future of car amplifiers. Especially subwoofer amplifiers. I give it 5 years before a majority of new sub amps are full-bridge.

I believe that full-bridges are the future of car amplifiers. Especially subwoofer amplifiers. I give it 5 years before a majority of new sub amps are full-bridge.
I certainly don't see half bridge going anywhere soon though. They're a lot more abuse tolerant and some people just like the looks of a big surfboard. Hell, some folks still cling to class A/B.

And I think both Brazil and China have a long way to go to really refine these. But this seems to be a bandwagon that a lot of companies are going to jump on now following Alphard and Sundown now that these """brands""" can get these off the shelf from their far east buildhouses.

All these companies making full bridge amps going to put mmats out of business
MMats markets themselves as high end made in USA and they sell via brick and mortar dealers. I don't think some cookie cutter Chinese stuff is what their target audience is going to want to buy. Also I'd wager China will never invest real R&D talent into designs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.