So why is nobody talking about the Sundown full bridge amps?

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Picked up a couple 8Ks the other day. Initial testing is very promising. I did a 158.0 with just one (was doing 159.2 with the Soundigital 12K) driving my subs wired to .7 ohm. Added the second one both amps driving 1.4 ohm and put up a 159.3 today at a show. Really first day out with them but so far so good, they seem to make a lot of power, price is stupid cheap and comes with Sundown 2 year warranty through a local dealer which is nothing to sneeze at. I'm thinking Sundown is going to sell a lot of these.

mrj858

Jun 21, 2011
san diego
when I swapped out my Sundown Scv7500s those were on my Short list along with the B2 audio full bridge amps

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
This is one of those posts that intrigues me but I don't think I'm experienced enough to comment on, but I'll give it a freshman try... how efficient are they? How affordable are they? Orion HCCA amps make a point to state that they are >88% efficient; that's why I purchased one. I'd like to know how other big amps compare.

- Joe

Popwarhomie

10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
The quality of them is better than Taramps. Guess they just haven't been out long enough to have alot of opinions. I would run one.

Alot of companies are jumping on the full bridge bandwagon now. Which is great IMO.

mrj858

Jun 21, 2011
san diego
Agree....I really like them from what I’ve experience...I’m at .4 per sub and my box rise is on the low side and i wasn’t ready to swap out my sub stage/recone subs so went back to surfboard Koreans....but whenever I rebuild or recone I’ll more then likely switch it up

OP
hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Orion HCCA amps make a point to state that they are >88% efficient;
I don't think you see those published efficiency numbers in a vehicle in real world conditions.

I'd expect the Sundown is comparable to all the other ones out there though, MSRP is 640$ for the 8K. Again, I think the big thing here is the price point for the Sundown warrany support.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
They are following the trend and trying to make it better. More competition is good. newly redesigned and improvised tech is good. Just need to see them copy taramps smart 3k design and slap it on an 8k or 15k. I personally would love to see a smart 30k type of amp doing 30k from 1 ohm to 2 ohms from sundown. That would cause a lot of hardcore masturbation sessions.

• Haha
Reactions: Clifff150
OP
hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Just need to see them copy taramps smart 3k design and slap it on an 8k or 15k.
I don't think they're selling enough big amps to put that much effort into those sizes. Not really sure how great of a feature that rail voltage limiting circuit is. JL has been doing it for 20 years now and not many others have followed suit trying to incorporate that into designs for some reason or another.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
When I do move over to full bridge, I’ll be going with Sundown.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
I believe that full-bridges are the future of car amplifiers. Especially subwoofer amplifiers. I give it 5 years before a majority of new sub amps are full-bridge.

OP
hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I believe that full-bridges are the future of car amplifiers. Especially subwoofer amplifiers. I give it 5 years before a majority of new sub amps are full-bridge.
I certainly don't see half bridge going anywhere soon though. They're a lot more abuse tolerant and some people just like the looks of a big surfboard. Hell, some folks still cling to class A/B.

And I think both Brazil and China have a long way to go to really refine these. But this seems to be a bandwagon that a lot of companies are going to jump on now following Alphard and Sundown now that these """brands""" can get these off the shelf from their far east buildhouses.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
All these companies making full bridge amps going to put mmats out of business

OP
hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
All these companies making full bridge amps going to put mmats out of business
MMats markets themselves as high end made in USA and they sell via brick and mortar dealers. I don't think some cookie cutter Chinese stuff is what their target audience is going to want to buy. Also I'd wager China will never invest real R&D talent into designs.

Reactions: wew lad

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
VA
The quality of them is better than Taramps. Guess they just haven't been out long enough to have alot of opinions. I would run one.

Alot of companies are jumping on the full bridge bandwagon now. Which is great IMO.
Have you seen one to say that? I haven't heard anything about their quality yet. FWIW the story is a chinese buildhouse approached Jacob and offered him a full bridge line to brand as sundown and it was so cheap that he couldn't turn it down.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
VA
Just as a general shitpost regarding sundown now selling full bridge, it's amazing to see all the hardcore hypocrites of full bridge in the past, even the newer stable lines coming out of brazil, making comments about how they'll be buying them and it's not for any reason with merit. It's just because it's branded as sundown. Not the warranty, not the possible quality and QC, none of that. Just nuthugging their way into fullbridge after shitting on it.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames
OP
hispls

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Just as a general shitpost regarding sundown now selling full bridge, it's amazing to see all the hardcore hypocrites of full bridge in the past, even the newer stable lines coming out of brazil, making comments about how they'll be buying them and it's not for any reason with merit. It's just because it's branded as sundown. Not the warranty, not the possible quality and QC, none of that. Just nuthugging their way into fullbridge after shitting on it.
In their defense Brazil has had a rocky history with reliability issues and in the past repairs have been difficult, impossible, or required sending something back to Brazil.

I know you and I have discussed this before that while I've had good luck with some Stetsom amps back in the day I would not buy Brazilian without warranty now. Honestly if these Chinese full bridge were coming from anybody else but Sundown I wouldn't buy them either but I know Jacob has deep enough pockets and enough clout in the industry that he could make good if the entire line of amps turned into a fiasco like DAT2500 or RD3250v2. And of course there's a Sundown dealer/repair shop within 40 miles of my house.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
The reason I’ll use Sundown when I go full bridge is because of the warranty. I’ve dealt with Sundown directly before regarding warranty and it was a breeze. I currently don’t run anything Sundown and honestly don’t really plan to any time soon.

Popwarhomie

10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Have you seen one to say that? I haven't heard anything about their quality yet. FWIW the story is a chinese buildhouse approached Jacob and offered him a full bridge line to brand as sundown and it was so cheap that he couldn't turn it down.
Yes. The pots are so much better than Taramps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds