So what's good in 2021?

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Analog Kid

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am still in the planning stages for the 2011 Altima system, and I realized as I start shopping around that I have been out of the game for too long. I don't want to make any decisions based on what was good in 1992. I also want to take advantage of the fact that I can afford better gear at 54 than when I was 24.

I am looking at a 6.5" component set for the front. My original choice was Rockford Fosgate T16-S. They have gotten pretty good reviews, especially for a set under $250. Then I started looking into some of the higher-end brands: Focal, Hertz, Morel, etc. But I know nothing about them. I'm not going to spend $1000+ on my front speakers, but I would jump up into the $500 range if I knew I would be blown away with the difference between those and the T16-S Fosgate set. The best speakers I ever owned were a pair of MB Quart 3.5" 2-ways I bought in 1993, and I was in awe of how much better they sounded in the dash of my '89 Oldsmobile than the Infinity's I had in the doors. I have heard the MBQuart is not the brand it used to be, but that is what I'm looking for, the 2021 version of the smile those speakers gave me when I powered them up for the first time. I find a lot of recommendations for the top-end models, but I already know the Hertz Legend series or the Morel Supremos are going to sound good. I am more interested in comparisons between the mid-priced ones, the Focal 165AS or Hertz CPK165 Pro, for example.

For my amp I want to go with a 5-channel to keep it simple and compact. If I can fit it under my seat I will, otherwise it will be tucked in the corner of the trunk. Gone are the days of an amp rack stretched across the width of the trunk, I want to keep it stealth as possible. I have been looking at the Fosgate R2-750X5. It seems to be in the right range for what I'm looking for, both price and power. Again, to me Fosgate amps have had the reputation in the past for giving you more bang for the buck, their 150w amps could outperform other brands' 300w units (I still have my old-school Punch150). But I would like suggestions for comparable 5-ch amps in the $400-500 range. It's hard to just Google "best 5-ch amp" because you never know if the top-rated amp is only there because the website putting out the article sells that brand. (where can I find good reviews/comparisons?)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to finally settling on the right gear and starting the install - thanks for all your input -Kevin

Spend part of your $500 budget on deadening the doors. I really enjoyed the Image Dynamics CXS 64 set (passive and active).

Sundown has a solid 5 channel option (1100.5 I think). Kenwood and Pioneer have a good 5 channel as well.

Actually it is a 1800.5 and can put on some really good numbers at 1 ohm on the subwoofer. But it is 430 dollars but you get what you pay for with amplifiers these days.

I think they kept it around for those who don’t want full bridge. Apparently Jacob has some prototypes to bring back the SAE line. Seems like there’s a lot of people who don’t want to go full bridge and he wants to offer something for everyone (since SALT line is super expensive). I must say, I do like that Jacob is always pushing out new products instead of just staying still with what they have.

Was going to post something very similar to OP here, so bumping this. I'm looking to spend up to $500 each on the comps and amp. Or any sum of $1,000 thereof, i.e. $700 amp, 300 speakers, etc. That is separate from budget on wiring, deadening, etc. Without being fully immersed in the car audio world there's really no way to know what is decent. Are Type X's still a good option these days? Could someone suggest one or two specific sets of comps in the $4-700 range they'd put in their own car?

I keep seeing "raw drivers" come up in my hours of perusing this forum. Did a bunch of searching but can't find any info or FAQs on what those are. How much harder or more complex are they to install/setup? Tweeters would have to be purchased separate? Or if I missed some good existing explanation a link would be fine too. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...