So my terminals and speaker wire..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Maxipads
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have 2 12" Alpine Type R's is a 4.02 cubic box ported, double baffled etc... Running off a BXi 1210d wired at 1 ohm... my gains are set with a dmmm im at 34 volts i think. my cones get the little tiniest warm after 10 or so minutes... ive had this for around a month almost and recently my subs cut out and turn back on.. i found the problem my 14 guage speaker wire melted and my plastic terminal get hot.. my wire are super warm and it smells like pure burnt plastic or whatever material cover the speaker wire and electrical ****... If i strip the wire down more the subs go back on and it works for another hour or so then the same **** happens.... Whats the problem???

I went to a local audio store to see if it was my terminals and he said i should buy gold plated one for 10$ and he'll sauter, or owever you spell it, the connections on because "any resistance causes excess heat"... Should i order 10 gauge or 12 guage wire??

I went to a local audio store to see if it was my terminals and he said i should buy gold plated one for 10$ and he'll sauter, or owever you spell it, the connections on because "any resistance causes excess heat"... Should i order 10 gauge or 12 guage wire??
10 gauge would be best, and it's spelled "solder"

ohh haha sorry for my ignorance.. but should i get a new terminal also??
It depends on what your terminals look like right now...most really ****, they have very little conductive metal going through them. My latest box I just used normal 1/4" bolts to go through the box, no resistance there. Or some people just run the wire straight through the box and caulk up the hole. It sounds like the terminals your using now ****, so I guess I would suggest replacing both the wire and terminals, but you could try just replacing the wire first. Replacing both would be ideal though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.