So, My girlfriend wants me to go to the gym with her

okay im not a weight loss guru but after some relatively non-intense workouts causing me to lose a solid pound a day between the workout and diet i may be able to shed some light for ya.....

very simple breakdown, it is NOT hard to gain weight, it is hard as hell in most cases to lose....it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound, and vice versa based upon your calorie intake, it will take a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound now you could figure that daily or weekly......

for somebody that is not use to being active or on there feet alot, try to do as girly as it sounds aerobic excercises.....dont jump straight into a treadmill or a track, it will in turn most likely cause shin splints which can be very painful and it *****....cause if you continue to run with them the pain gets nothing but worse....

now if you can stand running a mile or more, the best thing i could suggest is to get on a elliptical, most people dont think they work but i can tell you that an elliptical burns more calories than running, to get an equal workout you would have to run 10 miles.....30 minutes on a elliptical will burn anywhere from 450-500 calories, i personally get intense with my time periods and use heavy resistance and go fast...i see anywhere from 535-580 in a 30 minute period on my elliptical...

IT CAN BE DONE....and easier than most people think, dont listen to those who say your active you can eat anything because that is highly incorrect, best advice i can give you is the weightwatchers smartones meals or entree's simply because they range from 250-390 calories and you can get your favorite foods....

if you could handle that you could easily see anywhere from a 1/2 pound to full pound a day, because you do NOT have to burn that 3500 in working out, your body constantly has a BMR or basal metabolic rate, which is easily calculated in a 24 hour period you BMR burns a standard number of calories which is 10 x your weight, i burn 2060 calories doing nothing all day, just normal activities, now add five 30 minute spurts on the elliptical and you get 4735 calories burned now subtract your calorie intake, a male should technically take in no more than 1800 for good health so say you intake 1300......4735-1300 = 3435 calories burned, thats almost a 3500 calorie deficit overall so thats **** near a whole pound lost a day....

it works i went from 214 to 205.5 in 9 days it cant be done just gotta bust your ass sometimes.....

hope that helps

oh and one other things, when it comes to people cooking or eating unhealthy foods....resistance is futile....trust me it ***** but its worth it when you start seeing that number drop on the scale....my grandfather cooks nasty greasy steaks, pork, and chocolate cakes all the time....i just stick to my 350 calories 4 times a day....cause as long as i do, i see 1 number lower every day

GF comes on here talking crap.. when her dumbass bf can't figure out the right section to post his thread?

Couple fail.

lol... and silly me... I thought this was a thread about going active. This is almost as bad as when I thought the T/A thread was about T & A..... I need to pay attention!

Changing your diet will be your deciding factor, obviously something made you overweight in the first place.... If you work out, yet still eat shitty food (even once a day) you wont see results.
If you change your diet, and work out semi regularly, you see results fast.

I see alot of ppl since I work at the gym part time, and the people that DONT come back, are the people that come in and work the crap out of themselves, 5 mile runs etc, because they arent having fun, they do it for a week, and they never come back

Make the gym FUN, most gyms offer classes like taebo, anything that gets you sweating and your heartrae up. Just have fun

A pool is also a really good workout tool, everybody loves swimming, and its an excellent workout if you do laps
Probably the best advice you will get. If you don't find something you enjoy you won't stick with it. Also make the changes slowly meaning don't go from eating fat food 3x a day top eating nothing but chicken and rice, because again you won't stick with it. Work on eating clean calories and a balanced diet first and then learn how to manipulate your diet from there.

I'm no work out expert.Basically because I don't do it. I get mine at work.
But I think that diet is only 10%, exercise 90%. When I went through basic training we ate as much as we wanted 3 times a day of stuff like burgers, pizza, all that stuff. The skinny guys gained muscle mass the fat guys lost a lot.

I gained 25-30 pounds of muscle by the time I got out of basic. Exercise half an hour in the morning, Then run a half hour. Then we did various things during the day. Obstacle courses and what have you.
The amount you ate in basic is nothing if you broke down the total calories and what not. Couple that with tons of running and extreme stress and you get weight/loss gain based on where you were when you got there. Lots of people went from doing nothing and eating really shitty to running their assess of and lots of skinny people went from doing nothing and eating nothing to working out everyday and eating 3 meals. Diet and rest will be the deciding factor for 95% of people.

Just got done last week with my first 9- days of P90x. Like mentioned before, diet is very important. I'm 18, so I tried to do as well as I could following the diet plan, but of course there were some slip ups. I lost 14 lbs, and gained a lot of muscle. Started out being able to do 1 or 2 good pull ups, now I can rep 10. Went from 18% Body fat to 11.5%. I had a big of chub, now I can feel and sometimes see a six pack. I will continue doing the AB ripper X routine every other day, and eating healthy until the summer. Then I plan on doing Power 90 X.
Best part is, if you have space in your house, all I needed was 15, 25, 35, and a 50lb dumbbell. You can find torrents of the program, and if you stick to it I guarantee you will love the results.
Staring this next week. In 90 days will post a thread with results.

Good luck pootie. Don't get discouraged if you are totally wiped, or even can't compleate the workouts. As Tony says, "Do you best and forget the rest", and don't forget to "bring it".

P90X rocks. Even with me being a horrible dieter, I'm one month into round 2 of the thing and there are obvious results. I'm wearing jeans I thought I would have had to throw out, and athletic performance, be it weights or basketball (my activity of choice) has improved greatly.

For dumbells, check out the Powerblock Classics. Not THAT expensive, and much nicer than having a bunch of different weights lying around...

jds

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.