so im looking at all these amp guts...

optimusprime
10+ year member

roll out.
and sure they are shiny and pretty and what not but what the hell is all that ****. i mean i seriously have no idea what im looking at i have been looking at amp guts for like two weeks trying to figure out what makes one amp superior to another. anyone got a picture of amp guts all labled up with what each part is or something to that effect?

yeah no **** thats why im asking for labled pictures of amp guts any will do. but here some one tell me what all these little bits and pieces are on this .

dttoz.jpg

part of what i was wondering is where is the weak point here? what part/s control/determines how low of an impedance you can run at? what parts are upgradeable and/or repairable?

part of what i was wondering is where is the weak point here? what part/s control/determines how low of an impedance you can run at? what parts are upgradeable and/or repairable?
The weak point in that amp is pretty much the same as any amp; the fets & toroid.

The parts that determine how low of an impedance you can run at are the output transistors. From the looks of things, and without knowing the make/model of the fets, I'd say that's a high voltage amp. You have 4, probably bipolar, transistors per channel and a somewhat weak power supply for high current use. If it was a high current (low impedance) capable amp, you'd normally see more output transistors and the power supply toroid would be grounded directly to the mosfets. ******* up that much current through the traces on a board is what sent a lot of the old Soundstream amps to the dumpster.

I wouldn't trust anyone to upgrade that amp. If they say they can, they're lying. It's just not beefy enough. Older amps tend to have been WAYYY overbuilt and their power supplies had no problem with upgrades. You'd have to swap out all the switching devices for something that is made for high current useage and you'd have to modify the power supply so that the board doesn't melt. Basically, you'd be paying more in mods than the amp is worth while being left with an inferior product.

That's not a bad looking amp. It isn't a power house, but it probably sounds OK. I'd leave it alone.

its not actually my amp i was just using as an example im trying to learn a little bit about amps so i know what to look for in a good amp or what to look out for in a bad amp.

The weak point in that amp is pretty much the same as any amp; the fets & toroid.
The parts that determine how low of an impedance you can run at are the output transistors. From the looks of things, and without knowing the make/model of the fets, I'd say that's a high voltage amp. You have 4, probably bipolar, transistors per channel and a somewhat weak power supply for high current use. If it was a high current (low impedance) capable amp, you'd normally see more output transistors and the power supply toroid would be grounded directly to the mosfets. ******* up that much current through the traces on a board is what sent a lot of the old Soundstream amps to the dumpster.

I wouldn't trust anyone to upgrade that amp. If they say they can, they're lying. It's just not beefy enough. Older amps tend to have been WAYYY overbuilt and their power supplies had no problem with upgrades. You'd have to swap out all the switching devices for something that is made for high current useage and you'd have to modify the power supply so that the board doesn't melt. Basically, you'd be paying more in mods than the amp is worth while being left with an inferior product.

That's not a bad looking amp. It isn't a power house, but it probably sounds OK. I'd leave it alone.
Haha, sound ok, huh? Thats a Zed Gladius. One of the best amps Zed ever made, so it is gonna sound much more than ok. Not trying to be rude, just feel respect is due here.

Haha, sound ok, huh? Thats a Zed Gladius. One of the best amps Zed ever made, so it is gonna sound much more than ok. Not trying to be rude, just feel respect is due here.
thats the reason i used it as an example and becuase its got easy to see parts.

yeah no **** thats why im asking for labled pictures of amp guts any will do. but here some one tell me what all these little bits and pieces are on this .
they are magic beans that make your ears feel like they are having *** with the music coming out of your speakers.

I still don't see what's so special about that amp nor do I see a reason to give it any more or less 'respect' than most other products. The "Assembled in the USA" silk screening is definitely a knock against it when it comes to 'respect'...IMO anyway.

I still don't see what's so special about that amp nor do I see a reason to give it any more or less 'respect' than most other products. The "Assembled in the USA" silk screening is definitely a knock against it when it comes to 'respect'...IMO anyway.
whats wrong with things made in the USA?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.