So I hear DLS is quite the hot setup..

Also, what material are the speakers made out of? I'm a sucker for smooth sounding silk tweeters, and frightenly the DLS' appear to utilize aluminum or such //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
I believe all DLS tweeters are silk. All the separates anyways, haven't looked at the coax.

I installed mine today w00t! Very laid back sound. I like it. I'm only running 50Wrms to them right now, I think they want more power, but I'm going to break them in before I change anything.

As for being the hot setup, they have a full range of speakers, and the lower end Classic series might not be so hot. Haven't heard them though.

The DLS Iridiums are almost as good as the Seas Lotus Reference! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D:D:D

I had the Iridiums 6.2's
Sold em

Got the Rainbow CMX's

About the same..

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif so how you like'm? they can take some power I bet .....

My CS tweets are the loudest, smoothest silks I've ever heard- just gotta find an 8" driver to keep up...lol.

The DLS tweets are all silk domes above like $150 MSRP.

The tweeters have a rear tuned chamber like the Scan-Speaks so that they have an ultra-low Fs, allowing them to go down and meet the woofer well. Of course, if they thought the two-way was perfect, they probably wouldn't make a kit with a 3" dome mid, would they? : )

The 3-way in kicks sounds great.

The tweeters have a rear tuned chamber like the Scan-Speaks so that they have an ultra-low Fs, allowing them to go down and meet the woofer well. Of course, if they thought the two-way was perfect, they probably wouldn't make a kit with a 3" dome mid, would they? : )

The 3-way in kicks sounds great.
like with so many things its all about making sales //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The tweeters have a rear tuned chamber like the Scan-Speaks so that they have an ultra-low Fs, allowing them to go down and meet the woofer well.
Thats called 'acoustic volume', its actually used alot by other high end manufacturers

Of course, if they thought the two-way was perfect, they probably wouldn't make a kit with a 3" dome mid, would they? : )
Its all about application. Those that cannot get adequate midrange response due to imaging and vehicle driver location restraints can benefit from a dedicated midrange(if adequatly positioned). I've actually heard 2way sets that impressed me much more than 3way sets(tuning becomes more challenging)

I have had both the UR6 set and the Iridium 6.2 set in my car. Both of these absolutely sing. The iridiums are stunning in every way, but need careful installation to fully extract its potential. The UR6 can be dropped in and sound great in any situation.

I was wondering how the 8.2 Iridium 8" woofer performs vs the 6.5". Obviously, it will have better low end response, but does it hold flat to the tweeter crossover point? I may be over analyzing this, as the audible difference may be negligible.)?
Good question, some posts on this board mention that the Iridium 6.5 is more musical than the "original" 8" but a new version of the 8" 'mid' is available. I have no experience with the 8 but I have the 6.2 set and these play as well as everyone says. Transparent and with very little resonance, the mids are extremely detailed but I've found only one drawback - they tend to sound a bit harsh (in my car anyway) above around 2.5KHz... but that's not a problem if your system is active because the UR1 tweeters play clean and smooth down to 1250Hz. My XO is 1.6KHz/24dB and the set just ******' Fings!

Also, what material are the speakers made out of? I'm a sucker for smooth sounding silk tweeters, and frightenly the DLS' appear to utilize aluminum or such //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif)?
Aluminum in DLS tweeters? Absolutely NOT. You heard wrong. DLS tweeters are amazing. The UR1s are amazingly smooth and delicate. Oh, and about the basketball grill: I'd rather have a low-diffraction (but very protective) BBall grill than a perforated mesh screen in front of my tweets anyday. Form follows function?

I also have had the DLS UR6 set in my car and is one incredible sounding set out of the box. Great, balanced sound w/nice midbass. Same tweeter as the Iridium 6.2, but silghtly different mid (poly cone rather than paper). Not as installation-dependent as the Iridium 6.2. In my opinion, the UR6 mid has an overall smoother sound than the Iridium mid, but the Iridium makes up with a light and well-damped cone for transparency, imaging and quick impacts.

I have not heard DLS' lower or middle line, but you can't go wrong with the comps mentioned above.

I just recently dropped in the UR6s in my 98 civic. They are without a doubt the finest speakers I have had the pleasure of owning. (I've had cdt, boston, focal, jl, and rainbow). The tweeter is freaking huge and I still need to find a better way to properly install them, but with that aside, the midrange brings out the vocals in ways I have never heard in a car. I really don't know why people on this board complain about the midbass lacking in the ur6s set, my set hasn't gone past the break in period and they play down to 65hz with no problem. Now, I don't need bass that rattles my knee caps up front. My 12w6v2 takes duty below 65hz and blends effortlessly with the mid-bass. I listen to a decent range of music from classic rock to rap and everything inbetween, and the ur6s set will play that musical range with authority. I can't imagine what the iridium set sounds like (as I am in texas and there are no authorized DLS dealers in my area). I wouldn't think twice, grab DLS asap.

I've never heard of them before.
When I think of high end, I used to think Morel, Dynaudio, CDT, Focal.. and the high end DIY such as Vifa, Scanspeak, etc. Never ever ever heard of DLS until I stumbled upon them searching the site.

And as far as the "DLS sounds better" comment, could you clarify on what you liked better?
Morel makes the higher end sets for dls. To my understanding they also make the diamond d9 and the pg elate sets. I have had both the UR-6 and iridium 6.2 set. Best results i had was in kicks and they sounded very nice. In doors imo def not there full potential. I prefer the sound of the iridium set in kicks over the cdt es's. I also like the hd cdt's better than the es's. I have the 07's now and so far best yet. Soon im going to try the seas stuff out see how they are.

Morel makes the higher end sets for dls. To my understanding they also make the diamond d9 and the pg elate sets. I have had both the UR-6 and iridium 6.2 set. Best results i had was in kicks and they sounded very nice. In doors imo def not there full potential. I prefer the sound of the iridium set in kicks over the cdt es's. I also like the hd cdt's better than the es's. I have the 07's now and so far best yet. Soon im going to try the seas stuff out see how they are.

Geee, must be freakin nice to be able to own a car audio business and get try out all those great brand name components. Sure wish I had those opportunities. **walks away with his head down** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Geee, must be freakin nice to be able to own a car audio business and get try out all those great brand name components. Sure wish I had those opportunities. **walks away with his head down** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
hey some stuff i had to pay full retail for and then see just for myself it was a huge waste of money lol. That is one reason i like to try stuff out to see if it really is good. Im one of those guys that doesnt take peoples word i have to hear it myself. It cost money but i usually break even when i resell it and if i dont its worth it since i got to test it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If I put the Iridium in the doors though they wills till sound great in comparison to other speakers right? I sealed up the doors pretty well (obviously there are some holes for cables and clips) and used about 1/2 roll of RAAMAT on each door + that foam they sell) Was this a waste? I don't want to install in the kicks I want my install to look factory and sound great.

If I put the Iridium in the doors though they wills till sound great in comparison to other speakers right? I sealed up the doors pretty well (obviously there are some holes for cables and clips) and used about 1/2 roll of RAAMAT on each door + that foam they sell) Was this a waste? I don't want to install in the kicks I want my install to look factory and sound great.

They dont sound horrible but ib the cdt;s sounded better to me. If u do go IB dont get to crazy with the power and with a well deadened door it will def help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.