So I bought a CDA-9833....

mwestep

***UPDATE: FIXED***

After reading this thread http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88666 I went out and double checked the head unit ground. I put the ground cable at another spot and it worked itself out. I still plan on upgrading my amp sometime in the real near future, but I am just glad that I have a good sounding system as of now. Thanks a lot for all your guys' help, I really do appreciate it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And I can't get it to sound good at all. The music always sounds "tinny" and there is really no body to it. Even if I turn the gains way down on my amp (US Acoustics USB-4085), it sounds like that. I have the head unit at moderate (~20) volume, and tried to set the gains correctly on the amp at 25/35 volume on the head unit. Any ideas what would cause this?

I just took out my older Pioneer DEH-7400mp head unit, and it sounded a lot better than this.

Only thing I can think of is that my amp is an older amp. And it might not be able to handle the 4v preout of the Alpine. Would that cause this? I can't check out another amplifier because I don't have a spare lying around.

Thanks guys.

*edit* oh, here is my system specs

Alpine CDA-9833 head unit

US Acoustics USB-4085

Alpine SPX-177a Type X speakers

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" in custom 2cf box

It's the amp...US acoustics lol I would of recomended a better power supply for those Type-X's. I presume you spent the money on the nicer speakers then down sized on the amp. But thats fine. What kind of wiring do you have running from the Head Unit to the Amp? That might be a problem? But you said you just took the other wiring out so I don't know. My Alpine improved the sound of my speakers 1-100 in my opinion comparing to my old Sony CDX-M800. Try messin' with the preouts. check everything make sure it's all alright and yeah that 4v might have somethin' to do with it

Well, I had that amp ever since i built my first system (3-4 years ago) and its been pretty solid. I had it when I was running my 4x6 Infinity Kappas. My old cars transmission went out, and I bought a 2000 accord, hence why I upgraded to the Type X's. The RCA cables I have are rockford fosgate (the punch line), I don't THINK that they would be the problem, but there is always a chance. I guess what I will do is run it ghetto tommorrow, use some of the RCA cables I use in my home theater (Acoustic Research) and see if it makes it sound any better, its a long shot, but it might work.

I do plan on upgrading my amp, its the next thing on my list. but didn't think that it would happen for a few months down the road. And like I said, before when I was using the Pioneer, the amp has been working flawlessly, sounding great and everything. I just don't know whether its the cd player itself (I bought it new off crutchfield) or the amp just can't handle it. Any other input on this?

I think I forgot to mention that there is a pretty loud hiss as well. It is really loud when it is starting to read a mp3 cd, and it tones it down some, but it is still really noticable.

Well I bought mine from ABT but you probably don't know who they are cause there only in IL. But ne ways...I'm guessin' it's not the amp cause everythign I have bought from cruthcfield is always in Great Condition! I say upgrade the amp for sure. I dought running it ghetto power will change it but if you wanna try that then go for it. I think it's just the amp but my recomendation is if you still have the old HU put that one back in run it with that till you get the new amp cause I'm sure you probably have like a one year warranty on your alpine?

The hiss...does it change to a higher pitch the more gas you give your car. Are you running the power cable on the same side as your running your RCA's? Cause if so then thats your problem right there, know that one for a fact

No, its a constant hiss, the power cable is run on the opposite side from all the other cables. I wish I knew somebody around here that I could try out their amp. I might try a car audio shop or something, see if I can test it with their amps. Dunno though, most of the ones around here ****, lol.

First congrats on the new HU. When I first had my HU installed, the output was very off key(no bass, too much treble, vocals were off). I played around with the parametric EQ settings and that fixed it. If you have not tuned your HU yet via the HeadUnit Crossover settings & Parametric EQ - that could be your problem. Read the manual on how to set them and get back to us if that solved your issue.

I doubt its your amp, so before you go swapping around stuff. Tune it and see what happens. Have the manual handy, for you will certainly need it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your amp. It should be able to handle the 4v preouts easily, I believe they are rated to 8V. US Acoustics are not high dollar amps but they are good amps. I'm running the US 4080, even older then yours and it sounds great. Running Infinity Kappa 6.5 comp set. In the previous vehicle it ran another Kappa 6.5 comp and 5.1/4 comp set and sounded down right awesome. I'm running the 9835 HU currently. Mine also sounded tiny when it was first installed. Make sure you have the internal power set to off. Go into setup and select power ic, and turn it to off. You also need to have the crossovers set right to make it sound good. I've got mine at 125/ 12db for the fronts and 80/18db for the sub.

Bill3508

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.