SMD Distortion Detector Testing and Review!

the only reason i wouldn't buy it is it doesn't look that accurate, in the picture he has it next to an o-scope thats not clipping yet the light is on? thats probly safer but for 140 bucks the thing better be spot on

guys twisted proved it worked lol. its not the best godly device ever lol its 149 bucks or whatever. it is just a very simple way to set your gains. if you dont like it dont buy it, but dont not buy it just because meade created it...

the only reason i wouldn't buy it is it doesn't look that accurate, in the picture he has it next to an o-scope thats not clipping yet the light is on? thats probly safer but for 140 bucks the thing better be spot on
That's what I was originally meaning. It shows the signal isn't being clipped but there's distortion it picked up. It doesn't pick up clipping it picks up distortion. However that works. Bubba maybe you can elaborate more

How much does a GOOD O-scope cost is the question..lol

Also since i'm no technical wizard.... This is what TonyD'Amore said....

I know it's hard to grasp the concept of distortion if there is no clipping. I will try to get some good pictures from my bench, showing the SMD DD-1 in action. For now, check out this picture of a distorted sine wave vs. a clean sine wave. Your little hand-held scope is not going to tell you about this, it may show it on the screen but unless you have robot eyes you aren't going to know what you are looking at. Hell, you have to look closely at those little LCD displays even to see clipping!
Klirrfaktor_3.gif

In order for the smd meter to detect that, it would need to be able to compare the source signal with the output signal. It doesn't have that capability before anyone chimes in and states that this thing is measuring distortion and not just clipping.

Ummm looks like a clipped signal to me. If this tests "distortion" what's its point of reference?

Some ppl will buy it just because it sais SMD on it, some people would never buy it for the same reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

twistedchild420

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
twistedchild420
East,TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies