My review on the Image Dynamics CTX65CS

TerryMorgan
10+ year member

So Terry arrives from work today and look what's waiting for him on his doorstep? A set of the ID's CTX65CS components. As he eagerly opens them up to see them, he decides to document the experience. Haha.

speaker8xi5.jpg

So I begin to look inside and I dig my way quickly to the driver, the part I was really wanting to see.

speaker2cn9.jpg

Look at the size of the magnet on these! They're huge. They're not all that deep either, I've dealt with deeper Focal and RE Audio components and those have been a pain. But these fit great.

speakertk8.jpg

Now check out the cone area on this. Suspension is really tight, it has really punchy, tight midbass, which leads me to the next conclusion...

speaker3dg3.jpg

See this? Don't let it scare you. I ran my comps with 125w RMS per side with no problems at all, they took the wattage beautifully.

speaker7sl9.jpg

The tweets, which I found to be quite sturdy. My dumb ass dropped one by accident while test-fitting it in the mounting location as it barely got nicked. Still works fine as well.

speaker5go3.jpg

The crossover was simple but also sturdy; Simple is sometimes best for electronics. Less problems. Superb workmanship on the crossovers, not to mention the entire set.

speaker6sc4.jpg

Now onto the good part, the review. I originally picked these up after hearing them for a few moments in my friend's car, and reading some of the topics on here about them, so I decided to grab a pair. Couldn't ask for anything more at $179 from Woofersetc.com. For once a pair of speakers that I don't feel like I got ripped off on.

After installing them in my Civic and having fun ripping it apart...

im002969va4.jpg

I finally got to relax and enjoy them.

Right off the bat I barely had to do any equalization (Just a bit of tweaking on the high end because I'm going a bit deaf, too many concerts unfortunately, haha) and the midbass was punchy and tight. The low frequency response (58Hz) being very accurate, there was barely any rolloff until that point. After listening to a few different CDs, I'd have to say I've heard worse sound from $300-$400 component sets. Overall I think the price is amazing and the bang for your buck value can't be beat. These are staying in the Civic for a hell of a long time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

[quote name='skidaddy13']anyone running these active without the crossover? wanted to know what limit the mids have[/QUOTE]

[quote name='imp4pdabest']Hit up @princ3cmo[/QUOTE]

I never got a chance to run active with them. :( I never even got a chance to install them before I traded the car.

They're just sitting here still BNIB, aside from some testing I did in my room just so I could get an idea of how low they played, how much power they liked, and overall sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

TerryMorgan

10+ year member
TerryMorgan
Somewhereville
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views