Smart Electric Car Build 15" Subwoofer :) ( fully Electric )

cockerchrisjoe
10+ year member

hello all,

so finally got all the things i needed to get this done .

so if you followed my other post i was looking for an efficient amplifier to use as i just picked up a 2014 smart electric drive car ( fully electric no gas ) for a daily commuter. being a bass head the stock system had to go. now as you know because this does not have a gas motor it also does not have an alternator . how it works is vehicle has a DC to DC converter that takes the high voltage from your battery converts to 12 volt and powers the batters/ Acc . Range is a big thing when it comes to electric vehicles so needed something that did not affect range of vehicle.

so ill start with the subwoofer i use to have a 15" subwoofer in my reg cab sierra i had an really missed that super low bass and such you get with a 15" . i had found on local classifieds kiiji a RE audio SE15 for 100 bucks so got it while i could

next i had to find an amplifier which was effiecent enough,powerful, and in my budget . this turned out to be harder then i had thought alot of time went into it and figuring just how many amps i could use i figured realistically 50 amps was tops i could ever draw the lower the better. the Taramps HD800 was ideal choice but alittle above price range for now. so i finally picked something small effiecent and well cheaper, alot of people are probably going to talk **** about amp but i ended up getting a power acoustik Razer RZ-2300 now obviously i know this amp would never do anywhere close to 2300 watts or even 1000 . i am figuring honest numbers probably around 6-700 rms. i have owned these amps and despite it now being big brand new you can beat the **** out of it and it will keep going and still sound decent .

next was time to make the subwoofer box , my buddy derrick helped me make it and really pulled through. we ended up building a custom subwoofer box 3.3cu ft at around 32 hz.

just quick paint looks not so great going to custom vinly wrap it though

and inside the car with subwoofer in box

the Dvd deck well i went through two first one was a pioneer APPradio which turned out to be a pain in the *** to do anything with as i still use my old classic ipod and such so i wired in a pioneer AVH-2400BT DVD deck all i really need.

picture is blurry will get a good video up later on the flex as it sounds unreal loud in that car . and my range was not affected by even 2 km's

any questions let me know

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys,

front speakers and tweeters all stock but in the smart all its ever had was high's there actually really good stock as same kind Mercedes-Benz use all it needed was some serious bass maybe in the future might do something not sure yet. as for demo's i am in GTA area normally all the time , might bring it to Torque Modified this year just to see what it will do on the meter not sure yet . my old car will be there for sure 58 chevy its got 4 12" pioneer SPL subwoofers and all kinds of audio alot of flex

just hooked it up yesterday and drove two days cranked way up and never drained battery at all, the DC to DC constantly charges up the 12 volt battery in car so as long as you don't drain more than what the DC to DC puts out amperage wize your mint. noting this though each electric car will be different the nissan leaf, tesla motors S etc. and always check with the manufacture first

Does anyone know where the sub connector is in the stock head unit? Like if I don't have the surround sound version of the ED, and I want to put in a sub without having to change the head unit...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.