Small sub, but want big bass!

rjay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I just recently installed my small audio setup in my truck, 07 Silverado (new body) crew cab. Headunit is Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, factory door speakers (for now), and RF P3 shallow 10" sub ran by RF P300 mono amp. So I got it wired to a 2ohm load and getting 300watts and it just isn't enough! I guess I was just expecting too much. I listen to rock and alot of rap and this sub just can't handle low bass like I was hoping. Kind of wanting to keep it to a single sub setup (if possible) and sub size either 8" or 10". Seen alot of people recommend the Sundown SA-8, and thought about it in a foward facing sealed box. Being an 8", does anyone know if it can still produce the low notes at a loud volume? I don't need anything that people can feel comin down the road a few blocks away, but I do want strong, clean bass inside the ride at a loud volume, if that makes sense!

Its in the box. I personally dont now how a shallow sub compares to its non-shallow counterpart, but I would assume its xmax is very limited.

Id go for a regular subwoofer and have a box custom built for the sub and tune low depending on what the sub likes.

I will have to check around and on the box building, as I definitely don't have the skills to build one. I've got an Alpine MRP-M500 amp laying around, you think that should push SA-8 good enough?

Compromises can go a long ways towards reaching your goal. Placing a shallow mount sub in a small sealed box and expecting a lot of low end output is simply not being realistic. Its time to start looking at a compromise, either in space requirements, or output expectations.

does anyone think the sundown sa-8 sealed, will be louder than the 10" rockford sealed?

i think your looking for ported, but u cant build a box, and its probably going to be hard to fit.

if i were u i would get a ported box for the 10" u already have. perhaps the sa-8 will be louder ported, but u already have the 10, it only needs .75 cubic feet ported

Compromises can go a long ways towards reaching your goal. Placing a shallow mount sub in a small sealed box and expecting a lot of low end output is simply not being realistic. Its time to start looking at a compromise, either in space requirements, or output expectations.
Exactly.

If you look at Hoffman's iron law you will see that you can have two of the following: low end extension, high efficiency, small enclosure size. So in order to get the low end output you want you will either have to give up some space for a larger enclosure or have a not so efficient setup. If you lose efficiency it means you will need more power to get the same output from your sub.

Yeah, I definitely have to keep the backseat! However the whole underneath of the back seat can be used for the box, I mean I guess I really don't need that space now that I think about it. So you think the 10" ported will be quite a bit of difference or should I not even mess with the box for it, and focus on a different setup? I believe there is enough room for two tens, but probably not for a ported box, it would have to sealed. I seen online the pre made sealed boxes for two tens, just don't know they would be any good.

One last thought, my buddy has two JL audio 8w3 and will let me have them for pretty much the same price as the one SA-8. I want to stick w/8's so I can have the box with them facing foward. Again the amp I would be using is Apline MRP-M500 wired to a 2ohm load (500watts). I know alot of people think JLs are overpriced/overrated, but do you think that would be a better way to go? Or would the single SA-8 actually out do both of them? Oh yeah, the box for either one will be a ported one. Really appreciate the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.