Small form factor amplifier suggestions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Spaceboy464
10+ year member

I recently made a post asking for suggestions on Alpines PDX amps. I decided on the PDX-4.150 and PDX-1.600. However, I realized that I don't know what my other options are. I currently have a DLS A6 and A4. They are a little large to fit into my M3 and I was interested in the PDXs because of their small size and weight.

How do the PDXs compare to my DLSs? Would it be worth it to make the DLSs fit? Are there better amps than the PDXs that are similiarly sized?

I will be using HAT Clarus 61-2 for my front stage. I'd like to run that active as i'm planning to use an Audison BitOne. My rear stage will most likely be non existent or powered off of the OEM amp. I'm planning on my sub being an IDQ 12 D2 that will be mounted to the rear deck. Thanks!

Truthfully I would stick with the DLS line over the Alpine if you can find a way to work them in.

Everyone calls me crazy, but I have yet to be impressed by the full range PDX amps. That was the one amp that I could pick out with my back turned to the soundboard between JL Audio 300-4 and Rockford Fosgate T600-4. The Alpine PDX had less midbass than the JL Audio and the Rockford Fosgate. Granted, it could have been a setup issue, but the same amps were switched via the same switcher on the same components and same head unit with the same song playing, so I would tend to think that the PDX is just a colder/flatter amp. Oddly, I couldn't tell a difference between the JL Audio and the Rockford Fosgate but every time that PDX 4.100 was switched in, I could immediately tell.

Truthfully I would stick with the DLS line over the Alpine if you can find a way to work them in.
I can make them fit, I just have to build a false floor. I thought it was alot hard than it looks to be and I don't have a lot of time now. Luckily, I think I should be able to get them in during spring break in a couple of weeks.

Everyone calls me crazy, but I have yet to be impressed by the full range PDX amps. That was the one amp that I could pick out with my back turned to the soundboard between JL Audio 300-4 and Rockford Fosgate T600-4. The Alpine PDX had less midbass than the JL Audio and the Rockford Fosgate. Granted, it could have been a setup issue, but the same amps were switched via the same switcher on the same components and same head unit with the same song playing, so I would tend to think that the PDX is just a colder/flatter amp. Oddly, I couldn't tell a difference between the JL Audio and the Rockford Fosgate but every time that PDX 4.100 was switched in, I could immediately tell.
Do you think this has to do with them being digital vs analog?

Agreed, I'm finally using mine (pdx/2x150) to power my es 600's that I'm using for mid bass/rear fill. It sat in my closet for a year after I bought it. I swapped it in place of a JL 300/4 and it didn't sound right, so into the closet it went. It works fine for what I'm using it for now though, the front stage is powered by a JL 300/2 and thats mostly what i hear. Maybe it's just my ears, but I prefer a class a/b up front. That said, my cdt es 600's sound better than my (front) alpine spx 17 pro mids. The pros are topped out with the 300/2, I love the smell of band-aids in the morning....

Do you think this has to do with them being digital vs analog?
I blame it on the full range class D spec. Of course, that lack of midbass can easily be fixed with a little equalization.

I am about to go looking for the frequency response curve on the Alpine PDX, preferably from an independent reviewer. I'll post results if I find any.

ETA: Hmm.... I am not alone in thinking that it lacks balls - http://www.caraudiomag.com/0607_cae_alpine_pdx_4150_amplifier/index3.html

Also, wouldn't an IDMAX be better suited for infinite baffle usage than the IDQ?

Also, wouldn't an IDMAX be better suited for infinite baffle usage than the IDQ?
Would it? I had this sub leftover, unused from my Audi. I bought a bunch of equipment, but was never able to install it. I guess i'll have to look into getting an IDMAX.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.