small enclosure design. 8" sub.

Hi I was looking for optimal ported enclosure design for 8" subwoofer. I could not find any in the sticky or very little on the web. If someone with a program would be kind enough to give me demensions of the boards, I would apreciate it and leave feedback. Also probably 1/2 mdf would work just as well and be a lot lighter as I assume. Thanks in advance, Greg.

I can help you out if you PM me with more information. Can't really do anything with what you said //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I have a box I'll be selling soon if your interested... 1.09@29Hz. Its 42 long by 8 high, by 11 deep.

Here's a pic of it, i'm in the process of painting it...

6590Box%201.09@28.jpg

Its not perfect, the port did not come out well but it is nothing that effects the performance..

Jon

I usually don't post in threads like this, but i know that you're in the chicago burbs. I also have a single 8 box i can hook ya up with. .87 cubic feet, and i think 35hz tuning. it was for a dd 1008. PM me if you want it.

Shinny black box's FTW, explain the paint and process your doing to paint it. If that's lacqueer spray paint you can wetsand it for the Ul†ima†e Shine.
It has 2 layers of gray primer (sprayed) and right now 4 layers of black glossy. I hit the box before paint with 60-100-120-150 grit paper. Then hit both layers of primer with 150 (highest I had at the time). First 2 layers of paint were hit with 150 and the 3rd was hit with 320 grit paper. I'm hoping to put around 6-7 layers of paint with increasing grit paper. 320 is the highest i could find at the moment. I was looking at your box and hoping to reach close to the same effect. I'm only using a rattle can so I doubt I will get as nice a finish as you. Thats pretty much all there is to it...

Jon

It has 2 layers of gray primer (sprayed) and right now 4 layers of black glossy. I hit the box before paint with 60-100-120-150 grit paper. Then hit both layers of primer with 150 (highest I had at the time). First 2 layers of paint were hit with 150 and the 3rd was hit with 320 grit paper. I'm hoping to put around 6-7 layers of paint with increasing grit paper. 320 is the highest i could find at the moment. I was looking at your box and hoping to reach close to the same effect. I'm only using a rattle can so I doubt I will get as nice a finish as you. Thats pretty much all there is to it...

Jon
Cool, sounds like a good plan, but alot of sanding between coats of paint. I also just used rattle can spray paint for my box too, but it was lacquer spray paint, not sure if it sands differently then the paint your using....

I sanded my bare wood box with 80grit too then used a "polyethylene wood sanding primer" that I brushed on 3 coats thick. I sanded the primer with 150-200 then just sprayed on 4-5 coats of black lacquer (5 cans total over 2 days) without sanding between coats. After the paint cured for a few days I then wetsanded the entire box with 2000 grit to get this finish...

wetsandgoodtq7.jpg

Although I have read the way that your doing it by sanding in between coats is the right way, I just skipped doing this on my box because the paint felt soft to my touch and I didn't feel like sanding between coats was the right thing to do because I could feel it ball up under the sandpaper, which is why I waited till the end of my painting to wetsand.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks for the help!!!! I've been meaning to PM you about how you got such the nice finish. I'll have to look for some wet sanding stuff and give it a try. I'll make a small work log when I try wet sanding, loaded with tons of pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Jon

Cool, sounds like a good plan, but alot of sanding between coats of paint. I also just used rattle can spray paint for my box too, but it was lacquer spray paint, not sure if it sands differently then the paint your using....
I sanded my bare wood box with 80grit too then used a "polyethylene wood sanding primer" that I brushed on 3 coats thick. I sanded the primer with 150-200 then just sprayed on 4-5 coats of black lacquer (5 cans total over 2 days) without sanding between coats. After the paint cured for a few days I then wetsanded the entire box with 2000 grit to get this finish...

wetsandgoodtq7.jpg

Although I have read the way that your doing it by sanding in between coats is the right way, I just skipped doing this on my box because the paint felt soft to my touch and I didn't feel like sanding between coats was the right thing to do because I could feel it ball up under the sandpaper, which is why I waited till the end of my painting to wetsand.

Hope this helps, good luck.
post more pics of that box. It looks amazing.

Back to topic anyone wants to design a box for that tang bang for me? tuned to 35

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.