Skar EVL or DD redline 600?

I can do a slot ported box in 4-5 hours, so minus the 30$ for wood, making 25$ per hour from my garage seems decent to me. Maybe I should raise my prices. Lol
OK, now pretend you need to buy/rent a bigger garage which you will if you tried to do this for a living as you would need more tools, better tools, a paint booth, and to be able to buy wood by the bundle so you wouldn't have to schlep back and forth to the lumber yard. Then try to declare all that income and pay taxes. You'd need to be billing 50$ an hour to see 25 after taxes. Now buy yourself some insurance on your business, buy a website, pay a lawyer to trademark your brand. Might want to buy health insurance too for yourself and your family if you have one. You'll probably want to buy a forklift too to unload the truck that delivers your lumber and to load up freight trucks that come to ship anything big that you sell and need to ship. You are very fortunate if you can find a sheet of 3/4 anything for 30 bucks either plus you'll need to buy glue/screws cable and terminals, sandpaper, router bits, saw blades, respirator filters and other consumables.

There's a big difference between doing one now and again on your day off for a buddy and trying to quit your 9-5 to become a full time woodshop.

I was going to get paid. Usually they went with the 10 bucks a hour an a Case an hour.
If you tried to do that 9-5 you would be broke and dying of liver failure within 6 months.

OK, now pretend you need to buy/rent a bigger garage which you will if you tried to do this for a living as you would need more tools, better tools, a paint booth, and to be able to buy wood by the bundle so you wouldn't have to schlep back and forth to the lumber yard. Then try to declare all that income and pay taxes. You'd need to be billing 50$ an hour to see 25 after taxes. Now buy yourself some insurance on your business, buy a website, pay a lawyer to trademark your brand. Might want to buy health insurance too for yourself and your family if you have one. You'll probably want to buy a forklift too to unload the truck that delivers your lumber and to load up freight trucks that come to ship anything big that you sell and need to ship. You are very fortunate if you can find a sheet of 3/4 anything for 30 bucks either plus you'll need to buy glue/screws cable and terminals, sandpaper, router bits, saw blades, respirator filters and other consumables.

There's a big difference between doing one now and again on your day off for a buddy and trying to quit your 9-5 to become a full time woodshop.

If you tried to do that 9-5 you would be broke and dying of liver failure within 6 months.
It was kind of a joke there, hence the lol. I told him to find a guy who builds in their garage for a reason in my post right above that one.

Last edited:
As I said it was 25 years ago and I didn't do it all the time but every few weeks. And Yeah full time that would be a way to go broke and die young. Either way I was stocked up all the time. And since I lived on a river with almost an acre of yard 15 miles from town out in the middle of nowhere in a small sub-division we had boats,jet skis, quads, dirt bikes and so on. Every weekend during the summer was always a party going on between 3 of our houses. That beer was always put to good use by everyone not just me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.