Single SA8v2 sealed on ~700RMS

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Continuing from a different thread, basically my brother said no to a pair of E10s for his birthday. So I said screw it, and im just going to buy him an single SA8V2 and put it in a sealed box on less than 1K rms.. Personally I think this will sound good on music, im not going ported because he would prefer a flat response with SQ in mind, over Hz peaks with more SPL.... Thoughts?

I metered an sa8v2 in a 34hz tuned ported box and it played within about +/-1db from around 28hz up to the low 50s. Pretty flat if you ask me. You must have never heard a well designed ported box.
Lol probably not :p That's a really impressive response, thing is he has no interest in SPL.... He just wants lows on his music.. For box size and simplicity, sealed seems the right choice, does it not?

You're not going to get the output you want with sealed. Especially with one 8. Get a box designer that knows what he's doing and go ported. The SA 8's aren't even really made for sealed.

Lol probably not :p That's a really impressive response, thing is he has no interest in SPL.... He just wants lows on his music.. For box size and simplicity, sealed seems the right choice, does it not?
no its not the correct choice, pre-fab ported boxes just suck. For the box to sound better the lower the music and good response you need a proper ported box. I promise you SQ has nothing to do with ported or sealed. It has to do with driver and application

your not really supposed to seal that sub. The motor is too strong. Jacob himself advises not sealing it. I did 1 v1.5 8 in .8 tuned at 32hz and it was very impressive. Basically played from 28-45 with nice output and sloped from about 45-55 pretty smoothly.

no its not the correct choice, pre-fab ported boxes just suck. For the box to sound better the lower the music and good response you need a proper ported box. I promise you SQ has nothing to do with ported or sealed. It has to do with driver and application
Id never go with a prefab, just looking for the quickest box to build :\

Id never go with a prefab, just looking for the quickest box to build :\
i can understand that but you can order plans for 10-15buxs from someone like prorabbit, ram_designs, mobile enclosures, ect... and it really wouldnt be that hard to complete. I think you could do it man, and it would be a MUCH better result. Ive gotten ported to sealed before, you can make a ported box do whatever you want and i think they sound alot better. Ide deff go ported man

Also man, consider using aero ports. That makes porting easy, you just screw in tubes to a box. If you get plans made for you by one of the designers on here and he would tell you which one to get and how long to cut it. Seriously so easy, plus aero ports sound sooooo good

I metered an sa8v2 in a 34hz tuned ported box and it played within about +/-1db from around 28hz up to the low 50s. Pretty flat if you ask me. You must have never heard a well designed ported box.
Was that inside of a car or in a big room? The car cabin will boost the response the deeper the frequency is.

that wouldn't play flat in my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.