Suggestions...typex?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mongo12
10+ year member

South
I drive a nissan Xterra and am planning a system. I havent decided if I want to go with 2 12 alpine type Rs or one type x .. I plan to power it/them with a alpine mrx-m55, it is supposed to be 550 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms. My question is will I be severely underpowering the typex and not getting the sound I want or will the dual type rs give me better performance with this amp?

I dont want to shake the pavement I just want tight punching bass

or if anyone has better suggestions.. i havent built a system in years,, my last was built around a punch150 (oldschool) back in '91.

I had some punch 12s since then and wasnt all that impressed. I heard some newer Alpine systems and liked when I heard.

depends on what you want eithers way u have 1500+ watts of power handling but u wont use mose of the handling characteristics. the type x is a great sql woofer and can get decently loud but with that being said the type r is a strong performer as well. instead of buying the mrx-m55 look into the audiopipe apsm-1500 is a good bit more power and it can be had new for less than 200

I have never dealt with audiopipe before but I will look into that amp.. how can they offer an amp that is comparable to a PDX-M12 for such a price? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Will I need alot of cone for such a big vehicle like an xterra?

I have never dealt with audiopipe before but I will look into that amp.. how can they offer an amp that is comparable to a PDX-M12 for such a price? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gifWill I need alot of cone for such a big vehicle like an xterra?
cheap chinese amp the alpine is made much more durable but the audiopipe amps have a reputation for being awesome budget amps. iirc they were under 150 so u could use that for a little while then upgrade to a better amp.

and u dont need alot of cone to get decently loud in an xterra. i would suggest two 10s ported in a 3-3.5cube box tuned in the mid to low 30s or one good 12 in a 2.2.4cube box tuned in the mid to low 30s.

a custom box is worth every penny if u can built but dont know how to design, you can buy a design from a pro on here for a few bucks. if you need one built they have guys on here that can do that too.

if you are close to lake Pontchartrain in La i would gladly help you build a box in my spare time.

would you consider the type r to be decent with that amp? (alpine M55) Maybe 2 type r 12s and that 550 watt amp? I would like to obviously get the 1100watt alpine and the type x but budget wise right now id like to try a smaller watt amp. or... would I be better off getting the X and a ((ehrrrm...)) cheap amp?

I am not close to La //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif i am in Arkansas, river valley. I have a little experience with box building and the manual for the woofers has the recommended air cubes and dimensions. At this point I am thinking 2 Alpine SWR-12D2 (maybe the dual 4ohm VCoils instead for the 2 ohm load) subs in a sealed box and the Alpine M55 amp..

I have priced these new around $520 can anyone get a better bang for that price range?

ok followup... I bought a RF p10001BD amp and 2 Alpine type R 12s {dual 4ohm} they came in vented probox.

I bought the RF amp cause its 1 ohm stable and with the dual 4 ohm subs I couldnt do the alpine at 1 ohm.

I have to wait for the amp to come its via E-bay...

anyone see any snafus in this setup i guess its a little late to ask now lol ill pop in in a week or so to let U know if it sounds ok

ok followup... I bought a RF p10001BD amp and 2 Alpine type R 12s {dual 4ohm} they came in vented probox.
I bought the RF amp cause its 1 ohm stable and with the dual 4 ohm subs I couldnt do the alpine at 1 ohm.

I have to wait for the amp to come its via E-bay...

anyone see any snafus in this setup i guess its a little late to ask now lol ill pop in in a week or so to let U know if it sounds ok
it should be fine both companies make quality products. and the p-1000bd prolly puts out close to 1200w rms at 1ohm. the pro-box is the only thing holding you back now. just make sure and get a quality amp kit 4gauge will work for that amp but a 1/0 guage dual amp kit works great if you have a highs amp as well.

i recommend Amp Installation Kits, HDMI Cables

figured the probox was crap.. but i thought what the hell.. lol would a 14x28x11 sealed box be better. thats what the sealed box OS Dimensions are according to alpine for these subs (actually 14x14x11 but making it dual) actually 14x29x11 taking into account the inside partition wood.

figured the probox was crap.. but i thought what the hell.. lol would a 14x28x11 sealed box be better. thats what the sealed box OS Dimensions are according to alpine for these subs (actually 14x14x11 but making it dual) actually 14x29x11 taking into account the inside partition wood.
if space is an issue sealed is ok but after hearing the r in the probox sealed will disappoint you. the probox is going to be loud as hell for 1 12 but it isnt going to catch any low note because it is ported at like 45hz.

in you case a custom built box is the best option. a good start would be 2cubes tune to 33-36hz. maybe low depending on your taste. you may be happy with the probox personally it just doesnt do me justice.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

that would work great imo

I saved that image but I fear that box design will be too huge for 2 12s in my xterra lol I might have to lose the backseat :p

the probox is 15.5x26.5x22 / the width by 2 and using RFs box wizard its around 1.9cubes ported but the ports are way smaller than your proposed porting.

However I would have to remove almost 6 inches of width from your box for the 2 12s to make it fit unless I stacked em.. lol I guess the box will be my next big hurdle. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I will try the probox and see what I think. I dont listen to much boomy stuff anyway mostly rock and a little radio stuff. Im "too old" for most of the new stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I do appreciate your input and guidance. alot has changed since my last system

I saved that image but I fear that box design will be too huge for 2 12s in my xterra lol I might have to lose the backseat :p
well that design was only for 1 12 so if its to big idk how the probox will fit

i would prolly pay a box designer on here a few buck to design a box to your vehicle they usually cost 5-15bucks and the designer will send you cut sheet and sometimes a 3d model

i would talk to ramdesigns or prorabbit or moblenclosurs

well that design was only for 1 12 so if its to big idk how the probox will fit
i would prolly pay a box designer on here a few buck to design a box to your vehicle they usually cost 5-15bucks and the designer will send you cut sheet and sometimes a 3d model

i would talk to ramdesigns or prorabbit or moblenclosurs

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif thats a plan.. I guess I need to lurk the board a little I wasnt aware that was an option. I would gladly pay a little for the cut sheet and diagram. I can measure, cut, screw and glue.. its the design that gives me headaches //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif thats a plan.. I guess I need to lurk the board a little I wasnt aware that was an option. I would gladly pay a little for the cut sheet and diagram. I can measure, cut, screw and glue.. its the design that gives me headaches //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif
look in the vender sections they have a bunch if good guys in there buck is another guy i trust with designing and i believe he is the cheapest as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.