Single Alpine Type R 12" Ported Box Design. Feedback Pleease?

mpepin
10+ year member

Nebraska
After some long hours of research and designing, I think I am finally ready to start building the enclosure for my alpine 12" type R sub. I took into account the factory recommendations when designing this box.

The outer dimensions are 24" wide x 13.5" deep x 13.5" long. Built with 3/4" MDF. It will be L ported, with first length being 10" and the second being 8". The width of the port will be 1.25". The total volume of the box will be 1.679 cubic feet (this is after subtracting the woofer and L porting displacement.) The box will be screwed, then glued together, and carpeted.

I will be using a Rockford Fostgate 1000 watt monoblock amp with the sub wired at 4 ohms, which will put out around 500 watts rms. Tuned for 34Hz. It is being put in the cargo area of my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.

This will be my first box build, so any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Picture:

View attachment 26532857

Last edited by a moderator:
After some long hours of research and designing, I think I am finally ready to start building the enclosure for my alpine 12" type R sub. I took into account the factory recommendations when designing this box.
The outer dimensions are 24" wide x 13.5" deep x 13.5" long. Built with 3/4" MDF. It will be L ported, with first length being 10" and the second being 8". The width of the port will be 1.25". The total volume of the box will be 1.679 cubic feet (this is after subtracting the woofer and L porting displacement.) The box will be screwed, then glued together, and carpeted.

I will be using a Rockford Fostgate 1000 watt monoblock amp with the sub wired at 4 ohms, which will put out around 500 watts rms. Tuned for 34Hz. It is being put in the cargo area of my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.

This will be my first box build, so any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Picture:

View attachment 26532857
Hey how did this box turn out if you build it I'm doing the same sub but the newer model don't know if I should do it bigger or not

Do you have the older one or newer one? I have the first gens and plan to make a ported box after I start work, and get rid of this sealed one. Let us know things work out!

OK i have a type r 15 that I was wondering if getting a bigger box would help hit the lows harder i guess, I have a bassworx box that sounds good, well better than the one it was in before, but I want to know if i got a 2.3 or even a 2.9 cubic feet box that it would hit harder. the one it is in now is a 1.94 cubic foot box and i am limited in space. This is going in a extended cab s-10.

i got my new gen type r in one of them bbox boxes.. read on their website its the recommended size an they work together. im pretty sure it'll sound better in a bigger box mines just got a punch to it. no rumble if that makes sense

OK i have a type r 15 that I was wondering if getting a bigger box would help hit the lows harder i guess, I have a bassworx box that sounds good, well better than the one it was in before, but I want to know if i got a 2.3 or even a 2.9 cubic feet box that it would hit harder. the one it is in now is a 1.94 cubic foot box and i am limited in space. This is going in a extended cab s-10.
I was going to run a Type R 15 in my daughters car. The box I was going to use was 3.5 cubic ft. (after displacement) tuned around 32. So a 2.3 or 2.9 would be waaaay too small imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.