single 12" sealed enclosure question(s)

Participant count
  • Participant list
yea I figured as much, just thought I might see if there is any room for improvement .

You'll have more control over the frequencies of bass going ported but you'll give up some bandwidth of the frequencies you'll hear. A ported box tuned to 33hz will let you play down to 28hz but will sacrifice a lot of the 65hz and up region, however most subwoofers sound nasty past that point anyways. A 40hz tuned enclosure will have a hard time hitting anything below 35hz but will play up to the midbass regions fine, tends to be less flat and a lot more peaky. A 4th order bandpass designed around frequency response will play everything very flat but volume output tends to be around a sealed enclosure or sometimes less. A 1/4 wave Transmission line(t-line) enclosure is very efficient and will give you the most performance and frequency response, however its generally very hard to design and takes up a huge amount of space, however its very very impressive once done right.

Yes, a T-line would work great for your musical needs but will require a fairly large box. I would probably buy a design from someone here to save you the trouble of doing the math.

From 100 to 70 hz, think about getting dedicated midbass drivers or try to extend the crossover lower on your speaker doors. You can try putting your LPF up to 100 hz to see if your sub hits that high, otherwise keep it at 80 or below. From 35 and down you can't really expect much from a sealed box. They slope earlier and get quieter and quieter as you go down. You can try to boost those frequencies on your EQ but it's still not comparable to an efficient ported box. You can still hit all ranges well in a ported box if you tune in the low 30's(depending on the sub of course). Sealed boxes distort more in higher volumes when pushed to the max. Ported boxes also have an advantage of getting louder with less power. Something to think about.

Go download Winisd beta and try different alignments to see what you might like best.

I have a 10 in a ported box that I am selling, sounds good but I wanted to be able to have a little more air moving around, it is a p1 rf in their prefab ported box, single voice coil tho. I decided to splurge and go for the idmax 12 , been wanting one for a long time, just need more power.

I have a 10 in a ported box that I am selling, sounds good but I wanted to be able to have a little more air moving around, it is a p1 rf in their prefab ported box, single voice coil tho. I decided to splurge and go for the idmax 12 , been wanting one for a long time, just need more power.
Prefabs are no good. The idmax 12 is a great sub. One of my favorites. Get a custom made ported box for that and it should be really nice. Go for a 2.5 cu ft 30-32hz. Trust.

The current amp you have now might be enough. The idmax is known to be a sensitive sub so you don't actually need the full 1000w that it's rated for. I would suggest you take some time breaking it in before you push it hard too. After everything is said and done, and you feel it's still not enough power, then think about getting a better amp. Otherwise you should be fine with your current amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.