Enclosure Help!!!! DC Level 6 18

Participant count
  • Participant list

Quas

I purchased a DC Level 6 18 and should be receiving it any day now. I reaching out to anyone on the forum who has experience with the level 6 who could shed some light on any spec's for an enclosure recommendations... I currently have an FI SP4 18 and am using 2 4" aero ports in 7ft3 box tuned to 32hz. I like the aero port but want to use a slot port for this build. I play rap/hip hop and 80's music and really dig music with low bass and was thinking of tuning the port to 30 hz. I have a Ford Expedition and removed the third row seating so have plenty of space for this enclosure. This is my daily setup and not looking for competition or anything just like to play music loud. I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks

If you really like low notes do a 26-28hz tuning in an 8 or 9cu ft box. This will flatten your response curve alot making it more SQ until the low notes play. When your lows drop you will be felt and heard from a distance if you have the proper power. This goes for almost any subwoofer. While they all perform differently mechanically, theoritically the sound you want is mostly about the box. And the sub you're getting is definitely good enough to handle that enclosure and tuning. Set your subsonic freq to around 20hz +- 2 or 3 hz to prevent over excursion. You shouldnt have any roll off until around a frequency of 20hz. Maybe lower or less. You'd just need to play with the amp to find it. But this definitely is not an SPL enclosure. Its SQ. Low notes require lower tuning which means you'll be losing some of your higher notes. Will definitely sound deeper and more controlled though

Thanks a lot for the good info. I had 1 more question, do you know of a good calculator for the port tuning? I tried a few online ones and got different calculations on each of them

tuning that low is unnecessary. 33-30Hz will dig plenty low for almost everybody. what u want is port area and lots of it. in the neighborhood of 14-20 sqin per cuft of box space for slot ports. for aeros or pvc u can go a little lower as they're more efficient 8-11 sqin per cube. if u took those 2 4" ports out and put in 2 6" and tune to 33-30Hz u probably wouldn't have bought the lvl6. basicly if u run to little port area the enclosure begins to act like a leaky sealed box output dips, SQ goes out the window, u get loading and phase issues, etc.etc.

Thanks a lot for the good info. I had 1 more question, do you know of a good calculator for the port tuning? I tried a few online ones and got different calculations on each of them
well in my 6.25 cu ft box tuned to 26hz its like 27inches long. If you increasr the size of the box, the length of the port will decrease. I would think yours should be arojnd 20-22 inches. But this is what i used on my box and the results are excellent Port Length Calculator

tuning that low is unnecessary. 33-30Hz will dig plenty low for almost everybody. what u want is port area and lots of it. in the neighborhood of 14-20 sqin per cuft of box space for slot ports. for aeros or pvc u can go a little lower as they're more efficient 8-11 sqin per cube. if u took those 2 4" ports out and put in 2 6" and tune to 33-30Hz u probably wouldn't have bought the lvl6. basicly if u run to little port area the enclosure begins to act like a leaky sealed box output dips, SQ goes out the window, u get loading and phase issues, etc.etc.
i understand what you're saying but the lows he's looking for are the lows i found only when i tuned to below 30s. 30-33 is good for alot of music and can still get loud. But the lower the tuning the happier i think he'll be. I just built a simple box tuned to 26hz an i have no port problems and shops love the solid sound that comes from mybox. And this is with pioneer champions in it. When i get my xfls its over. Understand that everyones preferences are different. He likes the same type of bass i do.

also im not calling you wrong, just saying his preferences are different than yours.

i had 4 oa 12's tuned to 31Hz and hit notes u couldn't hear. it violently shook my explorer and moved massive air. i was also pointing out that he has enough port area for 2 10s. he is choking his sub off and if he increased his port area he may find he is more then pleased with the lows. the sp4 should be giving him gut wrenching lows and simply swaping ti what is considered a spl sub is not going to help him pick up lows better.

my HDD is tuned to 35Hz and while messing around the other day i found a song with a 20hz tone which my HDD had no problem playing with authority. i love the low lows myself i just dont think u have to tune that low for his goals.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just picked up that sub and am pumped about it. This sub just looks mean just lol. So for the dimensions of the box I think I might go with 36x26x19 with a double baffle sub faced up port to the rear. This gives me 8.19ft3. With that port calculator it gave me a really long port at 26hz so tuned at 30hz, vent dimensions 4x16.75 gives me a port length 15.74.... Does that sound legit? Any other recommendations?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.