signal to noise

southprk
10+ year member

So I've been looking at some amps, thinking of buying a visonik v900xd, or a hifonics bx1500D. They seem to have very similar stats, with the exception of signal to noise ratio, and crossover slope.

the v900xd has 96db signal to noise, and the hifonics has 90db .. big deal or not??

The visonik has shrouds, but doesn't look as good ... anyone care to school me on signal to noise?

Both are well below the level of audibility and that is all that matters.

Signal to noise is the ratio of the music signal to noise produced by the amp (hiss, static, etc...) and is usually expressed in dB. dB is a logrithmic scale not a linear one so for a perceived doubling in volume you are looking at 10 dB. 90dB of signal over noise would mean that the signal (music) is 2^9 (512) times louder than the noise.

Both are well below the level of audibility and that is all that matters.
Signal to noise is the ratio of the music signal to noise produced by the amp (hiss, static, etc...) and is usually expressed in dB. dB is a logrithmic scale not a linear one so for a perceived doubling in volume you are looking at 10 dB. 90dB of signal over noise would mean that the signal (music) is 2^9 (512) times louder than the noise.
dB = 20 * Log V1/V2

90dB S/N means the signal is 31,622 times higher than the noise. 96dB is 63,095:1, about twice as high.

You're correct in that in a car you won't notice the difference.

Another thing I always mention when people are talking about s/n ratio(some people buy amps, cd players, etc based on that number solely).

Example: If you have a deck that had a s/n ratio of 20000 to one, yet you ran it to an amplifer that only had a s/n ratio of 90 db. Your new, system s/n ratio is 90 db.

If your cd player has a s/n ratio of 90 db, buying an amp with a 91 db s/n ratio would give you NO added benefit(not that we could hear that difference anyway).

It is the whole "weakest link in the chain" idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.