SI sql 15

Participant count
  • Participant list
How do radiators help? I thought they were a thing of the past.

Radiators are just lengthless ports. They function nearly identical to ports expect they can unload just like a subwoofer.

And obviously radiators have mechanical limits unlike ports, yet ports have port noise. Port noise often requires larger ports and thus larger boxes. Mechanical limits usually requires a larger radiator or multiple radiators but doesn't really increase box size by much. Ports are cheaper obviously and radiators require programs or complex math to tune

Radiators are just lengthless ports. They function nearly identical to ports expect they can unload just like a subwoofer.

And obviously radiators have mechanical limits unlike ports, yet ports have port noise. Port noise often requires larger ports and thus larger boxes. Mechanical limits usually requires a larger radiator or multiple radiators but doesn't really increase box size by much. Ports are cheaper obviously and radiators require programs or complex math to tune

I haven't seen a system with one probably since the late 80's or early 90's. Usually SQ systems.

I haven't seen a system with one probably since the late 80's or early 90's. Usually SQ systems.
See you me a sq system would be 4th or 6th order bandpassed or sealed. Ported boxes are fairly hard to get good sq in without going large and tuning really low.

Not to say ported can't sound good but sq is usually about flat response not sounding good. Which is weird but thats the only measurable was to quantify sq

I'd try ported or radiators based on my experience. I Had a old school type r in a ported box that was too small running on half the power yet had twice the output over my SQL 12 in a sealed. It is a very clean sounding sub but I plan to build a ported box for it after I finish the XFL 15 build and see how it does.

This is same amp, wiring & vehicle. Only difference is the Type R running 2 ohm's @600w vs and the SQL running 1 ohm @1200w

I’ve done quite a few radiator builds. I like the sound. Drop off below tuning is sharper than ported, so you’d want them tuned a little lower than what you’d normally do ported. The best sound I’ve gotten from them was a ported box sub in a sealed box air space with a really low tuned radiator (Box tuning of 25 HZ). If you use a ported box air space you’ll likely need to double cone area for the radiators (the larger the box the more the radiators will move). I’m screwing around with 10 inch radiators now. Had them paired with a single 10, single 8 and a single 12 so far in different configurations and box sizes. This is what I’m playing with currently. A single 8 inch tuned to 25 HZ. Believe it or not, that 8 pushes a single radiator over xmax in that box. My favorite so far was a single 12 inch sub in a sealed box air space with a single radiator. Basically turning a sealed box into a small ported box tuned extremely low. I also listened to these subs in the sealed boxes before cutting the holes for the radiators so I could witness the difference with my own ears. They are fun to play with. I’m doing a 15 with dual 12 inch radiators next.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...