shop owners

d77543020
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
stockton ca
I just wanted to hear your stories on dropping certain brands from your shop and why, a friend of mine who was an Re dealer decided to drop them at the end of the year because they're so called protected line the re- Pro Series ended up all over the internet same with power bass he's decided to drop them also, re gave him this big song and dance talking about how they are trying to control it but he just can't keep up with the internet pricing on the subwoofers some of their Woffers can be as high as 60 percent cheaper than what he can sell them for the same goes for their amplifiers his shop is full of RE caues its not selling at all they're just too whored out online

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude that ***** cause when all these buyers go out and "save money" on the Internet crap and hook it up wrong, they'll be at you're friends shop hoping for warranty.. Stupid...

This is common place in the industry today very little protected territory with decent margins for brick & mortor retail sales .

The best plan is to sell yourself , your knowledge and service, gain trust and build relationships with your customer base and work hard to carry products that you believe in and brands that are a good fit and try to stick with them.

Its easier said than done, but so many retail shops want the product to make the sale for them instead of building a brand and taking less in margins and sales

I worked in a shop @ 96 and Rockford Fosgate did their dealers really dirty. They demanded a certain volume of sales, made them devote a special display just for their stuff, then next thing you know they're in every big box store.

A shop should NOT plan to make any real money selling equipment, only their labor and accessories.

I worked in a shop @ 96 and Rockford Fosgate did their dealers really dirty. They demanded a certain volume of sales, made them devote a special display just for their stuff, then next thing you know they're in every big box store.
A shop should NOT plan to make any real money selling equipment, only their labor and accessories.
Funny, I worked I a shop and their brand was kicker. Kicker was pretty cool but they too wanted a huge display and the shop had to sell X amounts of goods.. It was around the same time for me as well, '96-97. **** was soo fun.

Shop around here sells high end equipment for just a tad over internet costs for convenience. They make nearly all money on installs/fiberglassing/etc. They've spent time giving people a reason to go to them.

If you know how to hook it up, and you are getting the same subs with the same warranty why not shop around for the best price? Some shops want way too much for the same product I could find online. I understand they might have a family to support but so do I.

If you know how to hook it up, and you are getting the same subs with the same warranty why not shop around for the best price? Some shops want way too much for the same product I could find online. I understand they might have a family to support but so do I.
I completely agree here but! But what if you have a nice expensive sub you saved like 50-100 on from online and it starts to rub... If I was local shop owner and you didn't buy from me I wouldn't do **** except give you an address to ship the sub. If you bought it from the shop and had same issue, he'd just goin back and grab a new replacement. Done. And sometimes that is worth more that the savings.

We would welcome talking to any Dealers who are looking for a new line to bring in. We do not allow any Internet sales by dealers and we will not sell any product to Internet Retailers, for exactly the reason you all are discussing. Dealers have no incentive to carry a product that is readily accessible on the Net at a discounted price.

As far as buy ins go, we think they're ridiculous, same with requiring dealers to meet certain sales quotas. Why would you do that to your dealers? Many shops make it on a month to month basis, they can not afford huge buy ins not can they afford to be forced into creating a certain turn over.

Dealers need to be able to count on profits from products, otherwise again there is no incentive to carry a line. Dealer support is often forgotten, especially when it comes to so called "Reps".

yeah this is common in the industry now, for example he sells the REPro 10 inch subs I think for around 130 plus tax each a quick search on ebay found the same subs 2 for 99 bucks shipped there's no way in the shop can compete with that so he has decided just to liquidate all his re product for internet pricing just to get it out of the shop

lol "reps" I used to love it when they would come into the store....i'd get a heap of free stuff and make them feel like they know nothing about there own product, twas awesome lol

We would welcome talking to any Dealers who are looking for a new line to bring in. We do not allow any Internet sales by dealers and we will not sell any product to Internet Retailers, for exactly the reason you all are discussing. Dealers have no incentive to carry a product that is readily accessible on the Net at a discounted price. As far as buy ins go, we think they're ridiculous, same with requiring dealers to meet certain sales quotas. Why would you do that to your dealers? Many shops make it on a month to month basis, they can not afford huge buy ins not can they afford to be forced into creating a certain turn over.

Dealers need to be able to count on profits from products, otherwise again there is no incentive to carry a line. Dealer support is often forgotten, especially when it comes to so called "Reps".
Amen my brother I never understood the sales quota never will if you have 4 different lines in your shop and they all require a sales quota as a dealer what do you doif it wasn't for dealers all of these companies would be on the Internet selling their products

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.