Shielded Cat5 for audio cables?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wingman0121
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
At work we use 3 wires within a cat5 cable to transmit analog audio signal, the length is 35 feet and surprisingly it sounds pretty clean, we called the cable tech support and they say it's because it's twisted like all cat5 cables and it cancels out something or another so it's as good as it gets blah blah blaah. Now a cat5 has 4 pairs of twisted wires so that means it can support 4 channels and I think some are 28awg or 24awg.

Make my own patch cable using old ethernet cables?

That review is for unshielded cat5, he's only able to induce noise when he put the cat5 next to a high-voltage source(neon lights), no one in their right mind would run any wire next to a few thousand volts.

Not all cat5s are made equal either... some have thicker cable jackets, some shields are thicker and some have a draining or "ground" wire bundled with it. The typical cat5 that you see in schools and dorms are usually the cheap stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.