Setup Upgrade question

Participant count
  • Participant list

mason.is.king

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi there, I am fairly new to all this, but Recently i upgraded my setup to include door speakers. I am currently running 2 skar 12s on 1200watt amp which works fine. I have been running this for about 6 months now with no issues.

I recently purchased a skar 500watt 4 channel amp. along with 4 skar tx series 6.5 200 watt door speakers (200 watt peak per pair iirc). I have these wired to two channels because i didn’t have the rca inputs for 4 channels. and i just tuned my subs to be able to turn my knob to mac without clipping, so it’s hitting harder now.

my current issue is that for some reason my second amp for my door speakers turns off in the middle of a song even if my subs aren’t pulling too much power. I’m think about purchasing a 2000 watt amp for my subs and putting in a second battery. My question is if i do this, could i wire my 4 speakers to a monoblock 1200 watt amp? Or is 500 watts enough for those 4 speakers and it just isn’t getting enough power?

Second amp turning off, is this the amp to your door speakers? If yes, check your wiring. You may have the wired down too low for that amp to handle. Are they bridged, and are they wired in series or parallel? What impedance are the speakers, and what impedance can the amp handle? Is the amp bridge rated?

After thinking about it, most door speakers are 4 ohm, and you likely didn't go through wiring them in series. If you just doubled them up on a single channel, for example both speaker positives to amp positive and same with the negatives, you've wired them in parallel which will give a 2 ohm load to the amp. Most 4 channels are 2 ohm stable, but if you are bridging them, most 4 channels are only 4 ohm stable in bridge mode. If your door speakers are only 2 ohm, you could be wiring to a 1 ohm load, which is likely not stable bridged or not. Best bet may be go to best buy and get an rca splitter, give each speaker its own channel. If this isn't your issue let me know and grab me those details I asked for above.

Second amp turning off, is this the amp to your door speakers? If yes, check your wiring. You may have the wired down too low for that amp to handle. Are they bridged, and are they wired in series or parallel? What impedance are the speakers, and what impedance can the amp handle? Is the amp bridge rated?

Yes this is the amp to the door speakers. I haven’t had a chance to check the wiring i need to do that. they are wired in parallel with the front two being in one channel and the other in another channel. the independence for the speaker is 4ohm

Yes this is the amp to the door speakers. I haven’t had a chance to check the wiring i need to do that. they are wired in parallel with the front two being in one channel and the other in another channel. the independence for the speaker is 4ohm
Alright so 2 ohm amp load, bridged or no, and what's the amp model?

Alright so 2 ohm amp load, bridged or no, and what's the amp model?
it is not bridged, it’s wired like you said above two positive speakers to the positive of one channel and the two negative to negative of one channel. and then the same for the other pair. it’s a skar rp 500 watt 4channel amp

it is not bridged, it’s wired like you said above two positive speakers to the positive of one channel and the two negative to negative of one channel. and then the same for the other pair. it’s a skar rp 500 watt 4channel amp
So the amp is 2 ohm stable non bridged, so that doesn't appear to be an issue, however it's skar, so you can't always completely trust the quality. When the amp shuts off, see if it feels hot. You may have your gains set too high. Even if it's not clipping you are running the amp at its max capabilities, may be going into temp protect. It's not your electrical and the sub amp doesn't have anything to do with it. If it's just that one amp cutting out that is.

So the amp is 2 ohm stable non bridged, so that doesn't appear to be an issue, however it's skar, so you can't always completely trust the quality. When the amp shuts off, see if it feels hot. You may have your gains set too high. Even if it's not clipping you are running the amp at its max capabilities, may be going into temp protect. It's not your electrical and the sub amp doesn't have anything to do with it. If it's just that one amp cutting out that is.
alright i’ll try that thanks. it’s just weird bc if i turn my head unit off and back on it works. i’ll try this thanks!

alright i’ll try that thanks. it’s just weird bc if i turn my head unit off and back on it works. i’ll try this thanks!
Well, that's another key piece of information which could indicate an issue with head unit. Any other pertinent information? Still check the amp temperature because it's an easy troubleshooting step. What head unit are you running?

4 channel amp. 4 speakers. Two - 4 ohm speakers together on 1 channel @ 2 ohms. How are they connected (At the amp?) Pics? It may be bridged and you may not be aware... which is ok if you catch it in time.

This amp??

Attachments

• RP754AB.jpg
    RP754AB.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 24
4 channel amp. 4 speakers. Two - 4 ohm speakers together on 1 channel @ 2 ohms. How are they connected (At the amp?) Pics? It may be bridged and you may not be aware... which is ok if you catch it in time.
i’m not at my car right now, this is the only pic i have.

Well, that's another key piece of information which could indicate an issue with head unit. Any other pertinent information? Still check the amp temperature because it's an easy troubleshooting step. What head unit are you running?
as for this, it’s a cheap double din dual radios from walmart that was put in because the only one didn’t work before i got it.

Attachments

• AEE42608-952D-473F-8448-3EE89F940538.jpeg
    AEE42608-952D-473F-8448-3EE89F940538.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 27

as for this, it’s a cheap double din dual radios from walmart that was put in because the only one didn’t work before i got it.
Yeah that's not bridged, either gain issue, or I'm leaning towards possible head unit issue. Those super cheap head units can get weird sometimes for sure.

Looks wired correctly. RCA's in channel 1 and 2 and the speaker wires are in channels 1 and 2. Look for cut wires going into the doors as this can happen and short the amp. Make sure no metal is touching the speaker terminals... this too can short the amp. Make sure those speakers say 4 ohms and not 2 ohms... ya neva know.

Yeah that's not bridged, either gain issue, or I'm leaning towards possible head unit issue. Those super cheap head units can get weird sometimes for sure.
Ok i’ll look into that thanks. i plan to change it out soon

Looks wired correctly. RCA's in channel 1 and 2 and the speaker wires are in channels 1 and 2. Look for cut wires going into the doors as this can happen and short the amp. Make sure no metal is touching the speaker terminals... this too can short the amp. Make sure those speakers say 4 ohms and not 2 ohms... ya neva know.
this could be it too. thank you both i’ll look into this

Update: I got it fixed, I believe what was happening was the connectors to my rear door speakers had came off from either opening or closing the door or the bass, not sure. And they were grounding out putting it in protect mode. Thanks for all the help :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...