Setup question using JBL MS-8 & McIntosh 4 channel amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wadester999

Hi everyone. I am planning an install on my '14 Sonata using the factory navigation head unit with a JBL MS-8. I just bought a McIntosh 4 channel amp, which I want to use for the front sound stage.

The JBL has 8 channels output, and I will be installing separate speakers between the front doors and the dash. So do I use the crossover that comes with the separates, thereby using 2 of the 4 channels of the amp, or do I use the MS-8 to drive the door woofers and tweeters on separate amp channels?

Thanks

Hi everyone. I am planning an install on my '14 Sonata using the factory navigation head unit with a JBL MS-8. I just bought a McIntosh 4 channel amp, which I want to use for the front sound stage.
The JBL has 8 channels output, and I will be installing separate speakers between the front doors and the dash. So do I use the crossover that comes with the separates, thereby using 2 of the 4 channels of the amp, or do I use the MS-8 to drive the door woofers and tweeters on separate amp channels?

Thanks
Depends on what you want. Running tweeters off separate channels is called bi-amping. That means all the crossovers will be set either on the amp or the MS-8. I'm not sure how the MS-8 works, but since you have it - you should go active. Keep in mind, if you want to add any more speakers, you'll need either another amp or run them off the MS-8's internal amp. You should find out from the manufacturer to see how low the tweeter will play and set it as low as you can without blowing it. Once it's done, you can let the MS-8 do its thing.

I was thinking I should go active with the tweeters so that the MS8 can do the time alignment, but I guess I'm having a hard time justifying 100 watts to a 1" tweeter, then needing another amp for the back doors and sub. This project started out as a simple upgrade. Would i totally degrade the whole front SQ by using the JBLs built in amp to run the tweeters?

I was thinking I should go active with the tweeters so that the MS8 can do the time alignment, but I guess I'm having a hard time justifying 100 watts to a 1" tweeter, then needing another amp for the back doors and sub. This project started out as a simple upgrade. Would i totally degrade the whole front SQ by using the JBLs built in amp to run the tweeters?
It does like 30w RMS? Running active, 30w for tweeters will be fine. You should probably get a separate amp for the sub anyway. You can run rear fill off McIntosh's rear channels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.