Setup amplifier with HU sub-level maxed or 0?

I'm beginning to follow the other situations itt. When I first started setting amp gains with a DMM (years ago) I learned that with a bass knob it had to be turned up (on most amps) to see any power at all, therefore I would set my gains with a bass knob at full tilt. Likewise with using Hu only. I would set the gains with HU close to full tilt and volume at 3/4. This has worked for me in the past and seems to be the trend.

I'm just uncertain of what happens to the signal when it is adjusted from that exact point. Say I go max volume (or 3/4) and turn bass down on either HU or knob. What is happening to the signal at this point? Is it close to clipping from under matching the HU or is it close to clipping from over matching the HU? I dunno, so many variables, still learning here.

I'm beginning to follow the other situations itt. When I first started setting amp gains with a DMM (years ago) I learned that with a bass knob it had to be turned up (on most amps) to see any power at all, therefore I would set my gains with a bass knob at full tilt. Likewise with using Hu only. I would set the gains with HU close to full tilt and volume at 3/4. This has worked for me in the past and seems to be the trend.
I'm just uncertain of what happens to the signal when it is adjusted from that exact point. Say I go max volume (or 3/4) and turn bass down on either HU or knob. What is happening to the signal at this point? Is it close to clipping from under matching the HU or is it close to clipping from over matching the HU? I dunno, so many variables, still learning here.
i'm somewhat confused of what you're asking here... mind trying again? What do you mean by "what is happening to the signal"?

Set it at 0 unless you have a good reason to believe otherwise. I have tested the pre-out voltage at 0 bass setting on a Kenwood and Pioneer head unit, and in both cases I got exactly the rated pre-amp voltage on the RCAs when playing a 0db test tone. The bottom line here is that if you refuse to test it yourself with a multimeter, then set it at 0. Otherwise, you may get a clipped setting on the bass pre-outs. Don't listen to the posters here. So far, I have no reason to believe anyone has a clue what they're talking about.

Set it at 0 unless you have a good reason to believe otherwise. I have tested the pre-out voltage at 0 bass setting on a Kenwood and Pioneer head unit, and in both cases I got exactly the rated pre-amp voltage on the RCAs when playing a 0db test tone. The bottom line here is that if you refuse to test it yourself with a multimeter, then set it at 0. Otherwise, you may get a clipped setting on the bass pre-outs. Don't listen to the posters here. So far, I have no reason to believe anyone has a clue what they're talking about.
Your crazy as hell. Sub level control is to control the sub out preout voltage. If he sets it at 0 then decides to turn it up he is going to cause clipping from unmatched voltage

Your crazy as hell. Sub level control is to control the sub out preout voltage. If he sets it at 0 then decides to turn it up he is going to cause clipping from unmatched voltage
Not to mention, what about what i said earlier about not being able to reach your voltage goal when set at 0. I had to max out my sub level adjustment to get the 41 volts i needed. Set at 0 was only in the 10's. It might workout to set it at zero but not all cases

ETA it was suppose to quote Babykinns reply with the zako post

i'm still always confused about settings, gain, bass boost(on amp), sub level, bass boost on HU, bass knob, got a 2v HU so i have a line driver so another setting. I just set and hope it don't blow, Lol! So far it's been ok and i don't play it safe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.