setting your gains on music VS setting with test tones

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
so i have no way to set my gains "correctly" with a test tone until i get a proper headunit. and it got me thinking, why do we set gains with test tones if we listen to music? this is my thought:

find a song with a good bassline, set your gains to ~95% of what you think they should be (aka you need to see 50V set it to ~45V). obviously there is something wrong with this thought process, so can someone shead some light for me please? right now i have my gains set very conservativly and im happy, but id like to know if setting gains this way can cause big problems. (keep in mind that in my case i have ~600W of power and 2 subs that can take 1K each)

Matt

why is 50-60hz the "magic number" 90% of the songs i hear peak at ~35-45hz. im just trying to understand why we set our gains to one frequency instead of music.

Matt

why is 50-60hz the "magic number" 90% of the songs i hear peak at ~35-45hz. im just trying to understand why we set our gains to one frequency instead of music.
Matt
music doesnt peak your car peaks...and im not sure somone tag keep hope alive

music peaks as well... your car has a specific frequency that will be loudest for a given level of sound(not sure exactly tho), but songs have a frequency that peaks at a higher DB than the rest. one song may peak at -10db @35hz and another may peak at -12db@40hz.
@keep_hope_alive ;

Matt

Most dmm will only accurately read acv between 50-60hz that is why we use those frequencies. We use tones because they are a constant measure where as music can be all over the place one song -6db at 30hz and another -3db at 30hz you don't know. If you set your gains to the -6db and then play the -3db at full volume you will clip like crazy.

now that makes sense. setting at 0db gain would be the highest you will find in music if im not mistaken. and since AC volts is @60 hz that also makes sense.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.