Setting Gains with SMD DD1

Participant count
  • Participant list

marintech

Hey all, just got an SMD DD1, but not sure the correct method to do this. I have already"tuned" everything but it did not sound good. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express. I'm using the stock HU which is very basic, non alpine and no factory amp. I bought an AudioControl LC7i so I can get RCA preamps to the amps. Behind the LC7i I have a Sundown Audio SAE-100.4 for the mids and highs which are Sundown Audio SD-6.5 CS and a Sundown Audio SCV-1500D for the 2-12" Sundown Audio SA-12 D4's. subs.

I first got the max volume before clipping on the HU by using the speaker level inputs at the LC7i, once that was determined I moved on the the SAE-100.4 amp. I first started with the + and - on the front channel, + on the left and - on the right, worked perfectly. NextbI moved to the rear channel, trying the same as I did for the front, but this time the DD1 did not detect a signal. I had to use + and - from each side to get it to register. So I got those set and moved on the the Sub amp.

This is where I was really questioning things. I could not get the DD1 to see a signal at all with the gains at minimum, like the instructions state. So I started troubleshooting why, I ended up having to turn up the gain,or down as the numbers seem. On what I would consider the minimum side, it saya 6V and the maximum side is 0.2V. I had to set that thing almost all the way to 0.2V for the DD1 to see signal and recognize the hz that was beeing played. Also the distortion light was solid, as I backed off the gain, to get the distortion light to stop, everything else stopped also, didn't see the signal.

So I have a couple of questions.

1.) Should I set my HU max level at the LC7I like I did, or should I do it behind it with the RCAs out of it?

2.) Can someone explain how the sub amp gain works on this one? I'm confused as to why the 6V is set at the minimum side and the 0.2V is at max.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

--Steve

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Check your crossover (LPF or HPF)... Sometimes those are set WAY down and the crossover is filtering out the signal you want. Happens all the time to me on the amp dyno.

Check your crossover (LPF or HPF)... Sometimes those are set WAY down and the crossover is filtering out the signal you want. Happens all the time to me on the amp dyno.

On the mids and highs amp I have it set to Full Range, the sub amp I had to set to max of 300Hz just for the tuning, then I brought it back down to min of 35Hz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

so I figured out my problem, I had the front tap speakers in the second channel of the LC7i which produces no bass basically, so I swapped them to be correct and all is good now. The SMD detected right away and I was able to set the gain correctly on it and I also set the low-pass frequency as you suggested and man this thing is amazing now. Thanks all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

newb !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.