Setting gains: couple questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
I am running a two way active setup for reference.

I know this subject is covered extensively but I just need a couple clarifications because every thread ends up far from the original point. I know there are better ways but I set gains using a dmm. I know I have to keep the EQ flat but my questions are:

My HU has -10 - +10 speaker level for each speaker. Do i set that to 0 or +10?

For active crossovers, what test tone do I use for my mids? I've heard 150 hz and 1000hz so I'm not sure. I cross them from 80hz - 3.25khz

What test tone for my tweeters? I cross them from 4kz-run off.

Should I use -3 or -6 test tones? I was using 0db but realized i can get more out of my speakers using -3 or -6. I listen to mostly rock and Edm.

I apologize because I know this information is already out there but this will help with my individual case, so thank you

I am running a two way active setup for reference.
I know this subject is covered extensively but I just need a couple clarifications because every thread ends up far from the original point. I know there are better ways but I set gains using a dmm. I know I have to keep the EQ flat but my questions are:

My HU has -10 - +10 speaker level for each speaker. Do i set that to 0 or +10?

For active crossovers, what test tone do I use for my mids? I've heard 150 hz and 1000hz so I'm not sure. I cross them from 80hz - 3.25khz

What test tone for my tweeters? I cross them from 4kz-run off.

Should I use -3 or -6 test tones? I was using 0db but realized i can get more out of my speakers using -3 or -6. I listen to mostly rock and Edm.

I apologize because I know this information is already out there but this will help with my individual case, so thank you
When you set gains for an active speaker setup keep in mind the speaker level setting you mentioned will be used to level match the different speakers. Using test tones on tweeters is dangerous and not necessary. Most tweeters will get painfully loud on very low power, so I suggest starting with the HU's speaker level setting on 0 and put the amplifier gain setting on the tweeter channels at the highest voltage mark(this is minimum gain).

If you listen to a lot of music that's very very loud then the -3 dB tone would be sufficient. However, that kind of music gets very fatiguing and you won't have much wiggle room to turn up the volume on the radio for quieter music. The -6 dB tone would be a better choice if you listen to music that's made to sound like realistic voices and instrumentation. Rock music has varied from hugely dynamic to "balls to the wall" loud, so it depends on what you actually prefer. I don't listen to EDM but I imagine it's generally loud most of the time.

One last question. Do you have a subwoofer in this system?

When you set gains for an active speaker setup keep in mind the speaker level setting you mentioned will be used to level match the different speakers. Using test tones on tweeters is dangerous and not necessary. Most tweeters will get painfully loud on very low power, so I suggest starting with the HU's speaker level setting on 0 and put the amplifier gain setting on the tweeter channels at the highest voltage mark(this is minimum gain).
If you listen to a lot of music that's very very loud then the -3 dB tone would be sufficient. However, that kind of music gets very fatiguing and you won't have much wiggle room to turn up the volume on the radio for quieter music. The -6 dB tone would be a better choice if you listen to music that's made to sound like realistic voices and instrumentation. Rock music has varied from hugely dynamic to "balls to the wall" loud, so it depends on what you actually prefer. I don't listen to EDM but I imagine it's generally loud most of the time.

One last question. Do you have a subwoofer in this system?

Thanks for the reply, trumpet. Yes, im using a 12" DC level 3 sealed at the moment for a sub. I drive a truck and made a box to fit directly behind the console. Why, what are you thinking about?

The rest of my equipment is a PPI 900.4 amp, silver flute mids, and seas prestige tweets. I set the gains last night using -2.5db tones. I used 40hz for the sub, 1000hz for mids, and 5khz for tweets. Should I use -6

Speaking of the sub, can I use the 40 or 50hz tone and adjust by ear listening for a change in the pitch or is there another tone I should be using. I only ask because it seems my gains are set real low using the math formula and a dmm.

Thanks for the reply, trumpet. Yes, im using a 12" DC level 3 sealed at the moment for a sub. I drive a truck and made a box to fit directly behind the console. Why, what are you thinking about?
The rest of my equipment is a PPI 900.4 amp, silver flute mids, and seas prestige tweets. I set the gains last night using -2.5db tones. I used 40hz for the sub, 1000hz for mids, and 5khz for tweets. Should I use -6

Speaking of the sub, can I use the 40 or 50hz tone and adjust by ear listening for a change in the pitch or is there another tone I should be using. I only ask because it seems my gains are set real low using the math formula and a dmm.
You have some odd values for attenuated tones. Where are you getting them? I don't always use tones to set gains, but when I do I use Autosound 2000 disc 104 and my TPi 440 oscilloscope. Yes, I do think -6 is a better choice than -2.5.

Most DMMs are most accurate at 60 Hz for this purpose, so turn your low pass filter off or way out of this range and use a 60 Hz tone. It's fine to have the bass a lot louder than the mids and tweeters, and overall the system should sound full and well balanced while playing loud enough for your preference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.