serious roof flex

rboutin2
10+ year member

Nebraska
Setup: 2-15" type rs. Audiopipe ap30001d. Deadened doors back wall and ceiling. Custom ported box tuned to 30 hz. 1995 ford ranger ext cab. 250 amp alt with dual batteries all 0 guage.

Problem: my roof is flexing like a mofo. It literally flexes about an inch or so. Sounds like someones on top of my truck shaking a big piece of sheet metal. I have tried deadener, no go. I have foamed my roof supports back to the sheet metal again too. Now the whole.roof including the supports flexes lol. Id rather not weld or screw into the body. Don't want to mess up exterior paint. any suggestions?

No. They fired forward. Just INSANE amounts of power and pressure. It literally looks like my roof is trying to implode. As for the deadener I don't think it will help at all. It is just there is too big of sheet metal and not enough supports. I need a way to make the sheet metal more rigid. I was think a sandwich of expanding foam and wood and metal. Like the sheet metal then the foam then like 1/4" or 3/8" plywood. The plywood would be screwed.to the roof supports. But if it don't work then I got a mess to remove to try something else. Does it sound like it might work?

get rid of the bass, downsize your system, or s*ck it up. You have a pair of 15's on decent power in a pick up truck, what do you expect, seriously?

Expanding foam only does so much, and if too much is placed inside the supports it can cause the support to separate from the roof. Multiple layers of deadener could help, but you have a large system in a little cab, your gonna have a lot of flex and the weakest place is your roof, so thats the 1st place your gonna see. Maybe try and find a body shop that can fabricate new support brackets for the roof and weld them in place.

I realize I have a lot of power in a little space. I was expecting some kind of issue like this. However, if u actually heard the noise its making, you would understand why i am wanting to fix it so bad. It literally drowns out the bass in the cab. My buddy told me he heard the rattle from two blocks away. It is embarrasssing and I would like it to be fixed. So, please dont state the obvious, turn it down, downsize, etc. Just give me constructive help. And the expanding foam just basically adhered my supports back to the sheet metal again. Is there a way to put the support bars in without wldiong, screws, or rivets? Like with some kind of adhesive? Or would all adhesives eventually fail?

Adhesives will fail. Rivets might help for a little while, but those can also loosen then you'll have a new rattle to listen to. Your best bet is welding new brackets in place, it might not be as as easy as you'd like it to be, but thats gonna be your best option. After they are welded in, you can try some foam inside them then cover them with a few layers of deadener.

even with tig welding, it will burn through the paint on the other side of the roof right? The way that this roof flexes, I seriously doubt that any more layers will help. I got 2 on there now, and like i said, it didnt even make ANY difference at all. i know its suppose to change resonant frequency of the part u applied it too, but it still goes crazy at the same freq as before. Around 35-45 hz. And the metal did hum when the bass stopped. now with the deadener it dont anymore, but still flexes.

even with tig welding, it will burn through the paint on the other side of the roof right? The way that this roof flexes, I seriously doubt that any more layers will help. I got 2 on there now, and like i said, it didnt even make ANY difference at all. i know its suppose to change resonant frequency of the part u applied it too, but it still goes crazy at the same freq as before. Around 35-45 hz. And the metal did hum when the bass stopped. now with the deadener it dont anymore, but still flexes.
Actually it's mig welding, tig is for aluminum. It probably will change the resonant freq, but only by a couple Hz, and if you don't compete you don't need to worry about it. You could try adding more layers of deadener, but without welding new brackets your not going to stop the flex, but you could minimize it enough to a point you can tolerate it. Trial and error.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.