Seperating Good/Bad amps?

I don't think they're all that reliable
True that too, reliability is an issue with the off brands. But if they werent as overrated I think they would get a litte more respect. We shall see how reliable Maxxsonics has made their GP3000D. I'm taking a gamble with them too.

True that too, reliability is an issue with the off brands. But if they werent as overrated I think they would get a litte more respect. We shall see how reliable Maxxsonics has made their GP3000D. I'm taking a gamble with them too.
3k wats at 1 ohm? That has to be over rated. I would still get it and pound 3 SPL 12".

3k wats at 1 ohm? That has to be over rated. I would still get it and pound 3 SPL 12".
Nope they do rated power, do a search around here. iirc it made 2850wrms on a 12V system dropping to 11.5V on 1 ohm reactive. I will be running it at 15V. I was just questioning the reliability.

Kicker's not what they were 5 or 10 years ago, but few people would argue that they're good quality amps, and generally produce a good bit more than rated power.

One good indicator on the cheaper amplifiers is their on board fuses. You get roughly 10w per amp so an amp rated at 2kw rms with 3x30A fuses is lying - plain and simple. That Power Acoustik you asked about has 5x40's and is rated at 3200w -- no way.

So you have to wonder - if a company can't even get their ratings in the ballpark where else did they cut corners??

You can try the cheap stuff -- who knows, maybe it will work out and you'll find a real bargain. Maybe it won't. Worse case scenario is you will have learned something. Otherwise - you have to spend a little money to get something good.

say you have 1 40 amp fuse in a amp. the amp can draw 80amps of current for 3 sec easy! it can draw 70 amps for yrs.

5 40 amp fuses is 200amps worth of fusing and that is more than enough for 3k rms of power...

in theory, yes, but look at quality amps you know produce rated power and how they're fused. Do you think the budget amps are fused smaller just because the designer felt like it? No. It's because they don't put out as much power.

If you must go brand new then Audiopipe was a good budget suggestion.

The Kicker ZX1500.1 is a fine amp too, just watch your impedance, I would not take

it below 1.5 ohms. If your still thinking about 8 Hifonics hifi d2's; you could do 2ohm

final easily and be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.