Selection of Amp With My Type-R's

Miller
10+ year member

$
I got 2 10" Type-R's. I want them to hit real hard and have the most spl out of them as possible, while still keeping some sq. Right now they are on an eclipse 33230(2 channel, 210w each channel). I have decided that I am going to put them into a ported box and am thinking about getting a new, more powerful amp so that I can bumb harder. Any suggestions? Rockford Fosgate 700s (2 channel, 350 x 2 rms)??

Which Type-R 10-inchers did you get? The 1041D or the 1021D? The answer to this will help form our opinions as to which is the ideal amp.

For example, I have two of the 1021D subs and I use an MTX 6500D amp to feed them. They gobble up the power nicely and sound goooooood. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And a major IXNAY! on the ported box. Type-R subs were designed for sealed enclosures. They are not "ghetto boom" subs, but are designed for sound quality with a decent balance of SPL thrown in for good measure. They love smallish sealed boxes. I have my 1021D's sitting inside of 0.75 ft^3 chambers, one per sub.

a jbl 600 would be good or u could get a 1200 i dont know if they can handle them tho some people will say that amp is too much power for em and others will say just keep ur gains down on it and it will be fine.

Well I already built a ported box..... 29x15x16, with 3 3"x13" ports. I'm looking forward to see the difference between my 2 10's in a small sealed compared to a large ported. I'm not to sure if I got the 4 ohms or 2 ohms subs. I gotta talk to my friend who hooked up the deal for me. How do you think this ported box will sound?

Originally posted by Miller Well I already built a ported box..... 29x15x16, with 3 3"x13" ports. I'm looking forward to see the difference between my 2 10's in a small sealed compared to a large ported. I'm not to sure if I got the 4 ohms or 2 ohms subs. I gotta talk to my friend who hooked up the deal for me. How do you think this ported box will sound?
Dude, listen to me. Those subs are not designed for a ported box. Putting them in there and then expecting good sound or longevity out of them is just foolish. But go ahead and do it if you want.

How did you come up with those port dimensions anyway? If you don't even know what impedance the voice coils are on the subs, then I suspect that you just sort of pulled those port numbers out of your butt and built a box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

You do realize that there is a LOT more to a properly designed 2nd order box (ported) than just seeing what size port fits the box and going with it, right???

do you think im just some idiot who pulls numbers out of my ass and builds boxes.....I did a ton of research and got advice from many others about dimensions, port length and diameter. I set it for a 34 hz or so and I have software to help with box sizes and dimensions.....if you know something about boxes and you see something wrong with my box...tell me

trust me they are a sealed box driver.....i had the type r 15, and it sounded awesome in a 1.5 cube sealed box with 1060 watts rms, but as soon as you put it ported it sounded awful....

Definitly a small box, sealed sub. I have the 12" in a 1.0 cuft box and that is a little bigger than what alpine recommends. Putting those in a ported box will kill them faster. Trust us on this one, go sealed! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.