Second Skin Damplifier Pro

Rudy, what are your thoughts on MLV for the floors?
Other than lead, it is the best way to stop noise. Sound deadeners stop transmission of sound through the vehicle's structure, but barriers like lead and Mass Loaded Vinyl / Foam composites block the sound the same way a wall stops a ball.

You can approximate the same with sound deadener since two layers of most mat are going to be close to the same thickness and density as MLV. It's probably more expensive, more work and messier though. In any case, you need something very dense. To do the floor, you would first treat it with sound deadener. Then use a layer of foam, then a layer of high density material. Most of the MLV I've seen comes already composited with foam so you just cut it and lay it down.

You need to create a seamless shield between the source of the noise - road, tires, exhaust, etc and the passenger compartment. Any gaps and the sound just travels through them. Picture the heat shield on the space shuttle. Really great stuff for bring the noise floor down.

Other than lead, it is the best way to stop noise. Sound deadeners stop transmission of sound through the vehicle's structure, but barriers like lead and Mass Loaded Vinyl / Foam composites block the sound the same way a wall stops a ball.
You can approximate the same with sound deadener since two layers of most mat are going to be close to the same thickness and density as MLV. It's probably more expensive, more work and messier though. In any case, you need something very dense. To do the floor, you would first treat it with sound deadener. Then use a layer of foam, then a layer of high density material. Most of the MLV I've seen comes already composited with foam so you just cut it and lay it down.

You need to create a seamless shield between the source of the noise - road, tires, exhaust, etc and the passenger compartment. Any gaps and the sound just travels through them. Picture the heat shield on the space shuttle. Really great stuff for bring the noise floor down.
When you say foam do you mean like ensolite?

Also, I am cuurently trying to seal my doors -- I think it is Lexan that I bought at home depot -- it has been a rwal pain to cut though. Using a dremel. Anything easier to work with that is cheap? This stuff was only $2.50 for about a 12" x 18" piece which is perfect to work with.

Thanks Rude.

When you say foam do you mean like ensolite?
Also, I am cuurently trying to seal my doors -- I think it is Lexan that I bought at home depot -- it has been a rwal pain to cut though. Using a dremel. Anything easier to work with that is cheap? This stuff was only $2.50 for about a 12" x 18" piece which is perfect to work with.
Yep, Ensolite would work very well. Ideally you want the lightest, most open foam you can find - the idea is to separate the high density layer from the substrate so that vibrations aren't transmitted directly through it. Any interface between low and high density materials is a good thing when it comes to blocking sound. Practically, a heavier, closed cell foam is more practical in this application. It is more resistant to moisture and wont compress completely flat when you put weigh - like your feet - on it. You can find the pre-assembled composites with both kinds of foam. Google mass loaded vinyl for all osrts of sources. Second Skin, Cascade and Dynamic Control all sell the stuff too.

I use aluminum flashing from the roofing department at Home Depot to close access holes. It's easy to cut with heavy scissors and forms to complex shapes fairly well. I use self tapping screws and silicone adhesive to hold it in place and usually double up for extra strength.

Yep, Ensolite would work very well. Ideally you want the lightest, most open foam you can find - the idea is to separate the high density layer from the substrate so that vibrations aren't transmitted directly through it. Any interface between low and high density materials is a good thing when it comes to blocking sound. Practically, a heavier, closed cell foam is more practical in this application. It is more resistant to moisture and wont compress completely flat when you put weigh - like your feet - on it. You can find the pre-assembled composites with both kinds of foam. Google mass loaded vinyl for all osrts of sources. Second Skin, Cascade and Dynamic Control all sell the stuff too.
I use aluminum flashing from the roofing department at Home Depot to close access holes. It's easy to cut with heavy scissors and forms to complex shapes fairly well. I use self tapping screws and silicone adhesive to hold it in place and usually double up for extra strength.
Thanks a lot, that really helps. I think I amy ditch the plexiglass "like" stuff it's just been too much of a pain to cut and it is going to be worse when i start on the holes that have the door handle "rod" that runs through them. A little more "detailed" work there.

I saw some MLV on some marine equipt supply website that I may try. The price looked good.

Thanks a lot, that really helps. I think I amy ditch the plexiglass "like" stuff it's just been too much of a pain to cut and it is going to be worse when i start on the holes that have the door handle "rod" that runs through them. A little more "detailed" work there.
I saw some MLV on some marine equipt supply website that I may try. The price looked good.
I think most of it is made by the same one or two manufacturers. People keep sending me little samples and the vinyl part all looks the same, then there are 2 or 3 foam types. Check out the photos on Second Skins site for Luxury Liner and Luxury Liner Pro. I'll bet what you are describing looks a lot like one or the other.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.