Sealing subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

stephens30228
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just built my first box, I am wondering what the best way to seal a subwoofer to the box is, I have thought about silicone, but I assume that would make a mess if I ever decided to change boxes. So I thought about a foam weatherstripping type material but I didn't know where to get one that would fit or look right. Please someone point me to the right direction. Thanks

11111111111111111111.jpg

Any form of that. It comes in all shapes and sizes.

You shouldn't need it...most woofers come with a gasket that seals itself. Woofers tend to seal themselves without a gasket as well because you're screwing the woofer into the box. You aren't just setting in there. As long as your woofer hole is cut out correctly (not too big), then it won't leak air.

At home depot or your local hardware store ask for "caulking rope".

Some folks claim to gain DEEBEEZ by actually using caulking before mounting a woofer, many also notice gains by duct taping around the edges, but this could be not related to the seal whatsoever? IMO it's a mess but it won't hurt as far as output goes. Personally I'm not a big fan of that soft foam weatherstripping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.