Sealed vs Ported vs Passive Radiator

I think I paid $80/ea. They're custom ones made with the same basket and soft parts as my Tantric MD's. Murph made them for me.
Calculate port volume and wood involved to find the saved space.

Tuning isn't difficult. You can really just do it by "ear" and watching the subs while you play tones. Start super low (like 20hz) and track up until the sub(s) move the least. That's where it's tuned.
so you need 2x the cone area in PRs vs. your active subs?

I don't understand the last part. How do you tune it by ear? and you want which subs to move the least?

So for a PR set up. You build the box to the specs of a sealed enclosure. and then introduce the PRs?

so you need 2x the cone area in PRs vs. your active subs?I don't understand the last part. How do you tune it by ear? and you want which subs to move the least?

So for a PR set up. You build the box to the specs of a sealed enclosure. and then introduce the PRs?
Yes. 1.5-2x. A 12" PR is good for a 10. A 15" for a 12 and so on. Or just double it up.

The actual sub. It will move the least at system resonance. If you are tuned at 30hz, the sub will barely be vibrating at 30hz. It will move a lot below tuning, so track up on the tones until it stops flopping around. Add wieght until it is barely moving while it's playing the note you want to tune it at. I should make a vid of that, I guess.

You can do it that way if you like, but I usually stick to recommended ported box specs.

Yes. 1.5-2x. A 12" PR is good for a 10. A 15" for a 12 and so on. Or just double it up.
The actual sub. It will move the least at system resonance. If you are tuned at 30hz, the sub will barely be vibrating at 30hz. It will move a lot below tuning, so track up on the tones until it stops flopping around. Add wieght until it is barely moving while it's playing the note you want to tune it at. I should make a vid of that, I guess.

You can do it that way if you like, but I usually stick to recommended ported box specs.
Ok. Just curious. I was more just asking about it because I think it would be a set up I would like to run some day. The tuning part I don't necessarily understand. But I could always have someone help me. It is just an interesting way to run a sub stage.

I don't think you MUST have 1.5-2x the cone area for the PR. It can be for example 15" for 15" but the PR must possibly have less weight or more excursion, etc, something.

I don't think you MUST have 1.5-2x the cone area for the PR. It can be for example 15" for 15" but the PR must possibly have less weight or more excursion' date=' etc, something.[/quote']
Hence why I said it's either cone or xmax.

You don't HAVE to have any of it. But if you'd rather not have your PR slapping around and bottoming out, I suggest you follow those guidlines.

Hence why I said it's either cone or xmax.
You don't HAVE to have any of it. But if you'd rather not have your PR slapping around and bottoming out, I suggest you follow those guidlines.
Can you break a PR from over excursion or anything like that?

Could potentially damage the suspension.
Oh ok. Wanna do me a favor...What exactly is the "suspension" on a sub?

What is the coils? That pole in the middle of the sub?

I don't even get how the current from the tinsel leads...traveling to wherever they go...make the speaker play.

Suspension - referring to the surround and spider.

A passive radiator is basically the woofer without a magnet or voice coil.

speaker-anatomy.gif

Suspension - referring to the surround and spider.A passive radiator is basically the woofer without a magnet or voice coil.

speaker-anatomy.gif
OH...that's what the spider is. That yellow/orange ripple looking stuff. What exactly does the spider and voice coil do?

Voicecoil is what is energized by the amp creating a magnetic field which pushes/pulls the cone assembly through the motor's magnetic field (the large magnet on the bottom). The spider is what actually supports the cone and keeps it from tearing apart.

Voicecoil is what is energized by the amp creating a magnetic field which pushes/pulls the cone assembly through the motor's magnetic field (the large magnet on the bottom). The spider is what actually supports the cone and keeps it from tearing apart.
And now I know. Thank you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.