sealed vs infinate baffle

Participant count
  • Participant list

RJesus
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Philly
I've got a pair of hertz mlk165's that i'm going to run passive off of a zed kronos 250x2.

I'm going to make a custom pod out of fiberglass and then inside that will be a box made of mdf for the enclosure.

should I vent the enclosure into the door to make an IB, or should I just keep it sealed?

should I put polyester fill inside the box?

How about for the tweets? They come with a small chamber and a large chamber. does that act as the 'enclosure'? So it wouldn't matter if I made a box for them or not?

No enclosure needed for the tweets.

For your mids.. why not make the whole enclosure out of fiberglass? if anything, you can make it enclosed first and see how you like it, if you don't, then cut it open from behind and vent them.

No enclosure needed for the tweets.
For your mids.. why not make the whole enclosure out of fiberglass? if anything, you can make it enclosed first and see how you like it, if you don't, then cut it open from behind and vent them.
I figured MDF would be better than fiberglass, ?

Depends how many layers of fiberglass you lay up. Wherever you can use MDF, it's recommended that you do, to make things easier on yourself (and less expensive).

Fiberglass can be very strong and help you get more airspace. But if you're going to vent the speakers, then that probably won't matter.

is there a particular amount of space I should use for these mids? I wasn't able to find it on the spec sheet.

I'm guessing just give them as much space as I can and not worry about how big it actually is?

I probably won't vent them. what advantage is there to venting them?

The more space you have, the better sound you'll get out of them, but the less power they'll be able to handle.

I don't know the drivers, but it's a compromise - a small sealed box gives higher power handling, with more sound possible, but not as much of a low frequency extension. So take your pick with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.