Sealed better when trunk open....

solidcrowd
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
1.) This kid has 2 kicker cvrs in a prefab sealed box. I think its in a stratus, anyways when he opened his trunk and played some rap I could feel it in my chest. Now my enclosure is tuned to 32 hz and when I open my trunk I don't feel anything compared to his. My substage is way louder though inside my car when the trunk is closed though. Can someone please explain why I could feel his in my chest from his sealed box.

2.) Also, I normally played my music around 35/62 when the bass is heavy, but when I open my trunk and play, I am afraid to turn it up past 26..it seems like there is too much excursion. I this cause there is nothing for the air to bounce off?

I don't know if his was louder or quieter when popped, I was just saying when I stood behind his trunk I could feel it in my chest and when standing behind my I dont feel it.

on a simliar topic, i have openings in my rear deck where speakers used to be. do you think i would notice an improvment in bass by sealing those holes?

on a simliar topic, i have openings in my rear deck where speakers used to be. do you think i would notice an improvment in bass by sealing those holes?
thread jacker lol...If anything I would think leaving them open would get more air flow into the front

sealed is betta~!

no i dont know for sure bit i used to only like ported boxes till i got a sealed box built to specs and im alot more impressed.

I have two Audiomobile mass 12's in 1 cube each dual chambered box and it suonds to much better (to me) than my L5's ported

Seems sound a lot better on the low notes to.

portd to me sounds good on mostly rap.

build another box and tune higher..

i normally run my 15 in a ported 5cu@30hz FG dual 4" port and i don't feel **** hit my chest.. ever. this on a 1500D

before the 5cu i used a wood box of 4cu@30hz and never felt **** hit my chest with 2 different amps. a soundstream pca2000d and my saz 1500d

well recently last month i felt like blowing a speaker up by strapping 2 1500ds together. well on 12" speaker of same type i made an enclosure of 2cu with two 4" ports tuned to 40-45hz(don't remember). on my way to a Friends house i only had 1 amp hooked up to that speaker. same songs i used to play on the 15" and i was feeling the music hitting my chest.. i was like WTF?? and this is on a single 1500D

now if you have some extra wood or cash try a new enclosure and tune it higher. see if there is a difference for you. or try to build a box with interchangeable ports. that way you could tune around till you find a desired tuning thing a ma jig o boopie.. :/

when i had my SXs first installed facing the rear it was louder with the trunk open. it was due to cancellation that i fixed by sealing up the stupid port the stupid installer put facing the front of the car. he built me a 4 cube sealed. i told him i needed a ported. so instead of rebuilding it he put a single 4 inch port in facing the front and negleted to tell me right away. when i picked it up the guy that actually did the work claimed he hadn't heard about redoing a ported so he continued with a sealed. he says he didnt' know the other guy in the shop put the port in. regardless, the cause of the increase in volume was becasue the sound wave off the sub was leaving the car adn not cancelling the wave from the port.

and having your trunk open doesn't cause more excursion. your subs are fine playing with the trunk open. look at all the roe vids that show people running their systems full tilt with the trunk open.

howsmart.jpg

sealed is betta~!
no i dont know for sure bit i used to only like ported boxes till i got a sealed box built to specs and im alot more impressed.

I have two Audiomobile mass 12's in 1 cube each dual chambered box and it suonds to much better (to me) than my L5's ported

Seems sound a lot better on the low notes to.

portd to me sounds good on mostly rap.
I would bet my life you wouldn't like sealed better with certain subs. Not every enclosure type sounds the same when varying subs.

This thread is pretty ridiculous.

To the OP, I would bet that if your friend pushed his subs closer to the trunk opening, it would be much louder with the trunk closed. Also, the difference in sound between the two is almost definitely based on the vehicles and cabin gain and not really the enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.