Sa12 upgrade to Xcon worth it?

teoulennon
10+ year member

MS
I have an sa12 running on 750rms @2ohms.

I'm looking for more output.

I would just add another or go for a 15" but my trunk space is needed.

Would the increase in output a 12" ssa Xcon running 1500-2000rms would provide be worth the cost of replacement?

I would need to get an amp for the Xcon as well.

I think the Xcon is an excellent direction to go, but I am biased. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. "Very noticeable" were the keywords I was looking for.

I'd rather not go through the time/cost it would require if the sound difference would just be moderate.

It's going in a '12 bmw 5 series, which we all know has a trunk like a vault so the sa12 just isn't cutting it. I already cut a ski hole behind the seats.

I'll most likely go with an saz-1500 for the amp and add an xs xp3000 as a secondary battery.

From what I understand the stock bimmer electrical is beefier than the norm and have been told just adding the battery would be adequate for that power.

i have a single icon 15 ported, just put a pair SA10's in ported also. both ran on same amp (AT 1200.1) the 10s are louder, box is smaller than the icon box but the SA's have a lil more port area..

you should see more output with the xcon... box design will come into play. and with only 750 watts that xcon will laugh at you..

Well now you've got me thinking about getting 2 sa10's instead of 1 xcon12.

The enclosure would be about the same size and the 10's would give me more cone area...thoughts on this?

If you have a ski pass, then xcon 12 in a well designed 4th order would work magic for what you want. Really need to pay for a properly designed 4th order blueprint.
That's certainly a possibility Jeff. I have no experience w 4th orders and would def pay for the proper enclosure. I'd really like to be around 2.5ft^3 max, how large do you think a proper 4th order would be?

Also, I dont want a giant port sticking through my ski hole blowing air all over me and my passengers like an air cannon (see pic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) - is this an issue or is the air dispersed quickly, feeling more like cabin pressure?

4683801160_14fd8ec32b.jpg

Xcon 12 on 2k
I would be running 1500rms to the 2 sa10's, why would you choose the xcon setup over these?

you will end up in the 4 cubic feet gross-ish side of enclosure with a 4th order. What a 4th order blowthrough does is bypassing the trunk and getting all the sound into the cabin properly. Generally gets you waaaay louder. Its more like cabin pressure unless you stick your face right at the ski hole. You can go down to an Xcon 10 in a proper 4th order and it should still get louder than ported if you have a thick dense trunk where its hard to get the sound into the cabin.

Maybe I should try a 4th order for my sa12 before upgrading to a new sub setup. Based on some research it looks like it would be around 3ft^3 for the sa12, which I could probably swing.

Here is a model that someone did trying to get the flat response of a sealed box but louder; not the traditional 4th order with a large ported section looking to be louder as certain frequencies. I thought it was interesting.

nk.jpg

Any recommendations for a builder/designer? I'm familiar with RAM designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.