Running second battery anything extra needed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kybasshead75

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Ky
Going to run an xs power backup battery for the stereo to run on do I need to isolate it anything extra that I should do? Not a huge build just 1200 watts. I'll just run a fuse on the alternator to battery and then battery to amp wires4 after I get done with the big three.

All you gotta do is hook it up like it's another battery. Optimally, I suggest you run fuses with 12" or so of the + wire coming off any battery going in any direction.

So, you'd want to fuse the second battery + wire going to the front battery on both ends, and you'd want to fuse the + going from the second battery to the amps. I had 3 group 31's in the back of my Exploder with 4 runs of 0 gauge (2+/2-), and I had 4 250 amp fuses between the front battery and the rear bank on the 2 power wires, then I had 3 fuses on each power wire going to each amplifier. It was a lot of fuses, but my truck never burned down.

All you gotta do is hook it up like it's another battery. Optimally, I suggest you run fuses with 12" or so of the + wire coming off any battery going in any direction.

So, you'd want to fuse the second battery + wire going to the front battery on both ends, and you'd want to fuse the + going from the second battery to the amps. I had 3 group 31's in the back of my Exploder with 4 runs of 0 gauge (2+/2-), and I had 4 250 amp fuses between the front battery and the rear bank on the 2 power wires, then I had 3 fuses on each power wire going to each amplifier. It was a lot of fuses, but my truck never burned down.

Forgot to add that I did not fuse my alt + to battery +, but I had 4/0 welding cable (500 amp rated) with giant 4/0 copper lugs that I had to use literal bolt cutters to crimp. I could've probably used those lugs to tow a vehicle, and they probably wouldn't have come off, and they were well secured. A lot of people that I've seen do not fuse their battery to alt, but it just depends on how you do it. Sometimes it's very hard to fuse the alt, because the alt can be in very awkward places and obviously the proximity to the engine for a plastic fuse holder might be a worse problem than not having one. For alt to front battery, I recommend you use tons of zip ties, so that you can tie the + alt wire to a bunch of different points that are already there for other things for wire stability. Usually there's plenty of locations and other wires under the hood where you can very well stabilize that wire and keep it from moving at all. If you could fuse it, I guess go ahead and do so. Just make sure your fuse holder can take the heat of where you put it.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I did not fuse my alt + to battery +, but I had 4/0 welding cable (500 amp rated) with giant 4/0 copper lugs that I had to use literal bolt cutters to crimp. I could've probably used those lugs to tow a vehicle, and they probably wouldn't have come off, and they were well secured. A lot of people that I've seen do not fuse their battery to alt, but it just depends on how you do it. Sometimes it's very hard to fuse the alt, because the alt can be in very awkward places and obviously the proximity to the engine for a plastic fuse holder might be a worse problem then not having one. For alt to front battery, I recommend you use tons of zip ties, so that you can tie the + alt wire to a bunch of different points that are already there for other things for wire stability. Usually there's plenty of locations and other wires under the hood where you can very well stabilize that wire and keep it from moving at all. If you could fuse it, I guess go ahead and do so. Just make sure your fuse holder can take the heat of where you put it.
Thanks man, appreciate it. That's what I figured anywhere there's a large amount of power from one point to another it should be fused I've seen the fire pics lol. Exploders hehe I'm still waiting on that old lady to buy a new vehicle so I can snatch up that SUV then I'll hit you up man, can't wait!!!

The wiring got cleaned up of course, but here’s how my lithium with dual runs to the md5k (which ain’t there anymore) but you get the idea!
190F0087-644C-4A15-A106-FEC025B72FC8.jpeg

Attachments

• 16981161-227D-4FED-B161-C8DDE6D091CB.jpeg
    16981161-227D-4FED-B161-C8DDE6D091CB.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 44
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...