Running dual alts vs 1 high output

JakeW

CarAudio.com Regular
Pros & cons? 2 stock alternators converted gives me 652a peak but unknown idle amps. Cost to convert is $170 plus used alternator cost, plus bracket cost. Mechman or similar 370a peak, 200 something idle amps and they cost $600? Similar idle amps 2 vs 1 but peak is much more with 2. Thoughts? I would also just wire in parellel

Speaking with a cj Henson now. Appreciate any input, if it’s a retarded idea let me know!

Not at all. If I had a vehicle like a tahoe that have the brackets easily available and the torque to turn multiples I would go triple stocks for sure.

I would guess the rebuilt small case alts would get around 150a idle but that would be a good question for the alt builder. Is this a local builder? I would look into reviews for sure cause I would rather have one reliable alt over two problem child alts any day.

Yes sir here in Denver. Guy has years doing in, one of those shops that you just get the feeling some of the parts are older than you. Nothing fancy. I’m gonna call today and see about that amperage. He bench tests them right there as well
Not at all. If I had a vehicle like a tahoe that have the brackets easily available and the torque to turn multiples I would go triple stocks for sure.

I would guess the rebuilt small case alts would get around 150a idle but that would be a good question for the alt builder. Is this a local builder? I would look into reviews for sure cause I would rather have one reliable alt over two problem child alts any day.

I think 2 alts would be better, usually. The more you can spread out the load between units, typically the better. Better heat dissipation, less load per alt for the same system draw, etc.

Well it is always better to have more then necessary just like with amplifiers or anything in general it ends up being less stress & load on it. Plus room to grow later on as well.

I would not bother running multiple bootleg alternators. Buy one (or more as needed) modern design from a reputable company.

x2, I would definitely make sure that any alts you run are going to last and perform.

There was a company locally to me that re-wrapped my 130 amp explorer alt into a 180 amp, and it worked very well. If you can do multiple alts, and find a local alt company that is legit, that would be the way I would do it. I mean, the absolute best way would to be fit the biggest and best and most alts that you can from a high end alt company, but if you have the option to do multiple alts, you can just get factory ones re-wrapped into the biggest, safest amperage that they can hold.

You maybe can even run a modified stock alt and get a larger alt casing for you added on alt, where you could maybe have a bracket for a very common GM alt or something. Then you could get a nice GM cased alt or go rob some out of a junkyard and get them re-wrapped. I know there's brackets that can be made to fit a larger case alt where a smaller alternator would be from factory.

OP, what is your vehicle we're talking about here?

My 250 amp was done by a friends family business and no issues yet with it after 4 years. The cheapo chinese/ebay/amazon garbage are the ones to stay away from. Nothing wrong with mom and pop stores like that just have to the rep to back them up. Still a lot of those kind of alternator/starter repair shops running these days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...