Running bigger gauge than amp calls for?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LoudSound

Senior VIP Member
Toronto
Cons/pros?

apart from the obvious like having to buy reducers, having room to upgrade.

how do I even connect a 00 cable? i'll need some serious battery terminals so the ring makes full contact with the surface, wouldn't want it only making partial contact with a little cheap terminal.

im not doing 00 to the amp, i mean using a distro block

4 gauge will be enough for my 4 mids in front, but never know if next year I decide to put in 4 more + more tweeters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif My gut feeling is just telling me to stuff as thick of a cable as I can in there just so I don't have to re-do it later

should I use a distribution block? I'll need a bigger wire initially like a 00 but it'll save me from putting 3 wires through the car, should be a cleaner battery connection

The more I think about it the more I lean towards a distro block cuz I'm thinking 3 wires for amps isn't cool and if I decide to add more amps then I'll have a snake nest under my hood, so yeah I think I answered my own question but still wanted to hear opinions.

No cons other then price. Id go ahead with the distro block idea. If you want to splurge on copper ring terminals then go ahea, effects will be miniscule.
cool, thanks.

what do you think about these brass "heavy duty" terminals?
s-l1600.jpg

I think I'm gonna go with these rather than the stinger type

I have regular silver rings but they're sold as copper, I don't think they would just coat them. Probably some type of alloy

What's the amp?

There are people out there known to run bigger wire to their amps than the amp will accept. Even taken as far as running a double 1/0 inputs(For example) vs. one that the amp supplies with.

What's the amp?
There are people out there known to run bigger wire to their amps than the amp will accept. Even taken as far as running a double 1/0 inputs(For example) vs. one that the amp supplies with.

amps are PGs I got from Gary Hoffmann he hooked me up nice. They are only about 500rms each and call for 4 and 8awg respectively. I think all I gotta do is run 0 and then split it to 4s for these amps.

I think I figured it out.

those terminals are nice but they cost too. the ones I posted are $15 a pair.

I guess my only questions is

1)what fuse to get for my 0 power wire.

2)My amps don't have fuses. Do I install the fuses for the amps in the distribution block? No more fuses after that right?

I will go with 0gauge BIG 3 since 4ga+4ga+8ga=50mm2 crossectional area and 0ga is 53mm2 so it's just a tad bigger than the power wires.

As my system progresses I will upgrade to 00 BIG3.

I do not recommend those brass terminals. I will always use a crimped on lug and heat shrink. Those open terminals leave the wire exsposed and will have corrosion and poor connectivity over time not worth the hassle get the terminal with the post to attach lugs.

I guess my only questions is 1)what fuse to get for my 0 power wire.

2)My amps don't have fuses. Do I install the fuses for the amps in the distribution block? No more fuses after that right?

I will go with 0gauge BIG 3 since 4ga+4ga+8ga=50mm2 crossectional area and 0ga is 53mm2 so it's just a tad bigger than the power wires.

As my system progresses I will upgrade to 00 BIG3.
Fuse the 1/0 for the wire rating 250amp will do. Then if you want to fuse each amp lead for the amp. Never fuse a wire for more than its rated lower is fine.

I do not recommend those brass terminals. I will always use a crimped on lug and heat shrink. Those open terminals leave the wire exsposed and will have corrosion and poor connectivity over time not worth the hassle get the terminal with the post to attach lugs.
I'm confused. are you talking about the set screw ones that stinger makes or the ones I posted a picture of? Heatshrink is a must and you can always spray some **** over the lug so the connection stays clean under there.

I don't like the ones you posted cuz they don't have as big of an area to mount your lugs onto as the truck one I posted. I read it's not really good to mount ring on top of ring on top of ring and it seems that's the only way to get cables mounted onto that xs terminal.(btw those are generic terminals). I've actually looked at those before but I just love that big mounting plate with 4 screws. I'll think of something to protect the wires!

The ones you posted are a clamp. You strip the wire bare loosen the four bolts and clamp the wire between it. This leaves the wire exsposed. If you use lugs on the wire and each bolt as a separate wire contact that will be fine. I just dont like using the clamp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.