Running active seems impossible!?!?!?!? Also components crossovers and bass?? PLZHELP

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
Ok so im trying to grasp my brain around Running active and have been reading up on crossovers and component speakers for the last couple days, I just dont get how you can run active without like 8 amps. First of all say you have 2 sets of compnents 4 tweeters and 4 mids, now the way I see it you could run 2 2channel amps one for your tweets in the front and back and one amp for your mids front/back and running the HP X-over on each, but then you cant use alot of the fade or other functions you might need to run from your headunit, like time adjustment, is there something im missing?

I think I will just run 2 sets of components in my blazer off of a 2 channel amp (specifically 2 sets of PG RSD65cs) and just use the high pass Xover on the amp and set it to like 35hz. I hear that most crossovers, are mainly to keep tweeters from playing bass. Is this true because I want my mids to play low until I get my sub installed.

Last question thanks to those keeping up! I have a stock 4x6 speaker hole on my blazer dash with tweeters in it if I get replacement tweeters or coaxial 4x6's for them how do I keep the bass going to them if I will be running them off the Head Unit? I was thinking just plug my 2ch amps RCA into the rear RCA on the HU (as long as my HU has a sub RCA also (so 3 total)) and then I can use my Head Unit to adjust the front speakers to play over 100 hz or so...

Or else I can just not use the dash speakers and mount my component tweets in the dash, but they are aimed at the windshield? is this bad? because I dont really want to drill into my a-pillars but dont think the dash is a good place for tweeters??????????

THanks for any input guys I know its a lot of questions, but if I get this figured out I feel I will completely understand all aspects of my vehicles audio!

Ok so im trying to grasp my brain around Running active and have been reading up on crossovers and component speakers for the last couple days, I just dont get how you can run active without like 8 amps. First of all say you have 2 sets of compnents 4 tweeters and 4 mids, now the way I see it you could run 2 2channel amps one for your tweets in the front and back and one amp for your mids front/back and running the HP X-over on each, but then you cant use alot of the fade or other functions you might need to run from your headunit, like time adjustment, is there something im missing?
I think I will just run 2 sets of components in my blazer off of a 2 channel amp (specifically 2 sets of PG RSD65cs) and just use the high pass Xover on the amp and set it to like 35hz. I hear that most crossovers, are mainly to keep tweeters from playing bass. Is this true because I want my mids to play low until I get my sub installed.

Last question thanks to those keeping up! I have a stock 4x6 speaker hole on my blazer dash with tweeters in it if I get replacement tweeters or coaxial 4x6's for them how do I keep the bass going to them if I will be running them off the Head Unit? I was thinking just plug my 2ch amps RCA into the rear RCA on the HU (as long as my HU has a sub RCA also (so 3 total)) and then I can use my Head Unit to adjust the front speakers to play over 100 hz or so...

Or else I can just not use the dash speakers and mount my component tweets in the dash, but they are aimed at the windshield? is this bad? because I dont really want to drill into my a-pillars but dont think the dash is a good place for tweeters??????????

THanks for any input guys I know its a lot of questions, but if I get this figured out I feel I will completely understand all aspects of my vehicles audio!
Oh where to start.

You don't have to run 8 amps but one can. Use 4 channel or 6 channel amps.

Many do not run rear fill or if they do it is usually just mid range with no tweet for ambiance.

Most do not use the crossovers on the amps as they are not in the range usually needed or the wrong slope.

Time alignment can get tricky depending on speaker placement and what head unit you are using.

I would never run a 2 way comp set at a highpass of 35Hz even more so if there is a sub in the system. Most 2 ways can not play accurate that low ans just sound like ass.

Why are you wanting to run 4x6s if you are running the components?

Build kicks or door panels for your speakers.

I do not think you are ready to try and run active.

one option with 4x6 locations is a 4" plate component set for mids/highs and a door/kick midbass speaker. it can work well if you have enough amp channels. active requires as many amplifier channels as you have speakers. 5 amp channels can let you do 2-way active front and a sub. more speakers = more amps.

it's not always necessary to run active. if you by a complete component set, you can just use the crossovers that they came with. the benefits of going active are all tuning related. without the processing or ability or knowledge of how to tune, you can do more harm than good. tweeter are delicate - one wrong setting and you can blow them in seconds.

high pass settings are unique to each install. you can play your front speakers as low as you want, just recognize the frequency response, installation, power handling, amplifier power, and eq will determine how good they will sound. most 6.5" speakers don't do much good below 80Hz without some effort in the enclosure.

Sorry if it wasn't clear I dont plan on going active, I just plan on using the passive crossover. Does anyone know how low my mid will play with that crossover?

And I think 2 comp sets should be enough? now should I put my tweeter in the stock dash location, aimed at the windshield, or I drill a hole in the a-pillar, or flip around the dash tweeter mount so it aims towards the roof where a sunroof woild be, and just tilt them as much as possible.

What should I set my HPS xover at like 50-60 I want some bass from them until I get my BTL,

Im thinking of picking up an alpine 9855/35/96 or a pioneer. Or even more likely a alpine touchscreen, I can get a nice one refurbed for $300!

WOW guys after reading for several more hours I finally figured it out

MTX Car Audio - MTX Amplifier Feature

This shows how the HU recognizes the speakers, also with a four channel amp and a rockford 3sixty.2 to set all the corssovers and it comes with a great equalizer as well. Then you can use a term-lab RTA, which will show all the peaks in your system, this way for thise who dont know, an RTA will show all your db levels at each frequency, and if you run these side by side on 2 computers ( the RTA AND 3sixty.2 as its tuned on a laptop if I didnt say that) you can set your equalizer to get rid of the peaks and dips in your system! and also set the crossovers on your entire system, now obviously this stuff is expensive, but now I understand how it works and is possible

I found a video of steave meade tuning his system with these 2 tools.

TermLab RTA - Rockford 3sixty.2's ...Cleaning up the Tahoe a lil - SMD Forum

Honestly, I looked into it as well and it just isn't worth the hassle. I have an Alpine CDA-9887 H/U and tried setting everything myself, and trust me, there are a shitload of settings on the parametric EQ...and setting the time alignment? Ugh, real pain in the ass. Plus, I got everything where I thought it was good and then purchased the Imprint software and hardware that performs all of this for you based on the sound characteristics of your vehicle and holy shit, what a difference! So, my suggestion is to stay passive and look into an H/U or the new JBL unit that will set everything for you. Unless you are a complete audiophile nut, it's just not worth it. IMHO.

OK, I am going to find an amp on craigslist usually you can find a decent speaker amp for around $50, or Else I found a great deal on a new blaupunkdt 2 channel 2x200 @ 2 ohms, for like $60 and its cea-2006 rated but the weird thing is its rated 350 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms, isnt it supposed to just be double the 2 ohm rating? The model is THA2125

Also what do you guys recommend for HU's around 2-300 dollars, I found a very nice refurbed kenwood touchscreen for $300, But you can find nice HUs on ebay cheap, I was looking at alpine pioneer or a kenwood touchscreen. maybe a cda-9886 cda-117 or a higher class pioneer, you can get very nice 2008 models dirt cheap,

any suggestions or comments on amps or headunits would be great!

I am going to find an amp on craigslist usually you can find a decent speaker amp for around $50, or Else I found a great deal on a new blaupunkdt 2 channel 2x200 @ 2 ohms, for like $60 and its cea-2006 rated but the weird thing is its rated 350 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms, isnt it supposed to just be double the 2 ohm rating? The model is THA2125

I am going to find an amp on craigslist usually you can find a decent speaker amp for around $50, or Else I found a great deal on a new blaupunkdt 2 channel 2x200 @ 2 ohms, for like $60 and its cea-2006 rated but the weird thing is its rated 350 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms, isnt it supposed to just be double the 2 ohm rating? The model is THA2125
STFU and GTFO

I \am going to find an amp on craigslist usually you can find a decent speaker amp for around $50, or Else I found a great deal on a new blaupunkdt 2 channel 2x200 @ 2 ohms, for like $60 and its cea-2006 rated but the weird thing is its rated 350 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms, isnt it supposed to just be double the 2 ohm rating? Paul Smith ShirtsThe model is THA2125

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.