running 4 speakers off 2 channels?

Participant count
  • Participant list

agarabaghi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I have a Sony XM 604 marine amp which i use in my boat.

Im waiting for a 2nd amp to come back from being warrantied, so for now I was wondering if this setup would work.

The amp is 4 channel, but 3 and 4 can be bridged and have a low pass filter switch to power a subwoofer.

The manual says you can setup the amp to do:

150w x 2 @ 2 ohm + 300x1 @ 4ohm bridged

I plan on running a 10" JL Marine sub (250w rms) of the 3/4chan bridged, and was wondering if I could hook up (4) 4 ohm speakers to channel 1 and 2. Each channel would see a 2 ohm load and get ~ 150w per pair right?

Thanks!

yes sir. you have 2 channels each at 2 ohms PLUS a bridged channel at 4 ohms. is that sub a D2 or S4? also, idk how accurate those sony ratings are.

I am sure they are not very accurate + they must be the MAX out put. The speakers are rated 50 - 125w rms, and like it said this is a temp setup till my WetSound Syn6 amp comes back (60x4 + 600x1).

The sub is Single Voice Coil 4 ohm.

Yea eventually I will be installing that 6 channel amp which will power all 4 in cabin JL m770 speakers with about 60rms @ 4ohms, and then bridging the 5/6 channel which puts out 600x1 @ 4ohms for the tower speaker pod (2 8" drivers and 1 HLCD horn tweeter) and then just using the 3/4 channels bridged on the sony amp to power the little JL sub.

Sounds acceptable until the new amp comes.

The sub is going to be free air, so im not trying to overpower it. I think as long as i watch for clipping and distortion it should work out fine. As for the speakers, running them off the headunit at 17w rms they sounded fine, so 35 can only be better ha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.