roughly $600 to spend on component sets what to get?

caliboyta
10+ year member

i have roughly 600 to spend on some 6.5 component set. it will be powered by an alpine pdx f6 150x4 and have my kenwood dmx905s head unit. For a while i was set on getting hertz comp sets but also leaning towards morel hybrids comp sets. What else you guys suggest? Local stereo shop is a morel dealer and hes trying to press me into buying the jl c2 or the c5 component sets. Just want to get your guys opinions. These are going into my 02 trans am

i have roughly 600 to spend on some 6.5 component set. it will be powered by an alpine pdx f6 150x4 and have my kenwood dmx905s head unit. For a while i was set on getting hertz comp sets but also leaning towards morel hybrids comp sets. What else you guys suggest? Local stereo shop is a morel dealer and hes trying to press me into buying the jl c2 or the c5 component sets. Just want to get your guys opinions. These are going into my 02 trans am

Good or not you’ll still overpay for Jl’s over what they should cost

Anything is better than JL at that price point. Hertz/Focal/Morel, its hard to say any one is better than the other as they all perform very well, some just have different clarity or tonality which is all subjective. It will come down to install and your best bet is listening to them for yourself to see if there is anything in particular your hearing can pick out that you prefer.

Dont do JL, go for any of the other brands mentioned.

Don't have to but it would be a very good idea. Rear fill should be ditched anyways.

A 4 channel amp with active crossovers is all you would really need.

$600 could get you Scanspeak Revelator 18Ws and Scanspeak D3004/6020 tweeters.

So your head unit has high pass and low pass. Assuming that you can select one for each of the front and middles channels, could you just grab a 4 Channel like the nvx jad800.4 which has selectable filter for 1/2 and 3/4 and just use the one that is opposite as what you have selected on the hu setting for that channe. So For the tweeter if you have low pass filter on the front through the deck only and for the mids you would use whatever filter is available on the deck and the opposite filter on the amp (to get you betweeen 80hz-3500hz or whatever the effective crossover sweet spot is for that pairing

Last edited:
So your head unit has high pass and low pass. Assuming that you can select one for each of the front and middles channels, could you just grab a 4 Channel like the nvx jad800.4 which has selectable filter for 1/2 and 3/4 and just use the one that is opposite as what you have selected on the hu setting for that channe. So For the tweeter if you have low pass filter on the front through the deck only and for the mids you would use whatever filter is available on the deck and the opposite filter on the amp (to get you betweeen 80hz-3500hz or whatever the effective crossover sweet spot is for that pairing
Apparently my head unit has a built in dsp integrated in its headunit, not sure how good it is.

Alright I screenshot the speakers on Amazon and tell me if I'm getting the right ones. Now for my 4 channel amp, can I use my alpine pdx f6 or replace it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-182619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-182619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 189
U need an active crossover now. Your head unit won’t do the job like you want it to. The components would of been easier because they come with a passive crossover but the active can achieve more and a better sound to what you have. But then on another note, on components, the passives aren’t that bad because they are made special for that specific driver and tweeter. But go active if you know what you’re doing. If you are not familiar with active crossovers then go with hertz components. Focal are better if you have more money to spend. but for the price you are trying to spend, hertz components would be the route to go in my opinion.

Last edited:
U need an active crossover now. Your head unit won’t do the job like you want it to. The components would of been easier because they come with a passive crossover but the active can achieve more and a better sound to what you have. But then on another note, on components, the passives aren’t that bad because they are made special for that specific driver and tweeter. But go active if you know what you’re doing. If you are not familiar with active crossovers then go with hertz components. Focal are better if you have more money to spend. but for the price you are trying to spend, hertz components would be the route to go in my opinion.
I have a sense of having my system distortion free with a dd-1 but as far setting up an active crossover, I have no experienced in crossover tuning. I know if done wrong, it can damage the comp sets easily. I've been a car stereo enthusiast since 99 however only installed a system only in my car back in 99 with a single fosgate amp and 2 12 spl mules

I have a sense of having my system distortion free with a dd-1 but as far setting up an active crossover, I have no experienced in crossover tuning. I know if done wrong, it can damage the comp sets easily. I've been a car stereo enthusiast since 99 however only installed a system only in my car back in 99 with a single fosgate amp and 2 12 spl mules
Do you know somebody personally that can tune an active crossover for you that is audio inclined? Don’t trust a car audio place to tune a crossover for you. If you wanna learn from trial and error and eventually get a great sound then go active. But if you wanna minimize the trial and error greatly and achieve a good sound then go with components. No need to jump straight into something deep. You should work your way from the shallow end to the deep end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

caliboyta

10+ year member
caliboyta
newark, ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from