Rockford Fosgate VS Pyramid?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Truth
10+ year member

I have been watching messages on this forum for awhile and there are a few things I have noticed. One thing I have noticed is that there alot of people giving solid car audio advise on various topics, and that is great, and I think you have really saved people time and money. On the other hand there are also others that feel it necessary to put down the less well known manufacturers of electronic components and only recommend what is considered by most as "high end car audio." To those peole I say "DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!" Last week here in San Antonio there was a car audio competition not sposored by IASCA, or USAC but a local competition put on by a local car audio shop, radio station, and Pepsi. At that competition I went up against people that were sporting Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Kenwood, PPI, Kicker, the works and I beat them down with 2 10" Audiobahns and a Pyramid class d amp. registering 147.2db @56hz. After I took 1st place people came to see what I had and there jaws hit the floor when they saw they got beat by a so called "Flea Market Brand." Now I would like to add this disclaimer to my previous statements, I am not, I repeat am not trying to say that those above listed manufacturers are not makers of good solid equipment time and trial tested, but what I am saying is that a person can achieve the same results if not better by knowing what to look for in car audio components. So my suggestion to those of you who are giving uninformed advise, educate yourself and the truth shall set you free!

I have been in this game for a long d@mn time. I have owned and seen alot of different products manufactured by a whole lot of different companies. If I try to stear someone away from one product. It is because of personal experience I have had with that particular product. Most of the time when it comes to the "flea market" merchandise you refer to. My main concern that comes into play is the dependability factor. I don't want to see someone waste their hard earned money on something that's only going to last a couple of months. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

One of my friends runs pyramid subs in his SPL install. He is running 2 hyper pro 15's ( I think that's the model ) powered by 2 boss class d amps. I can't remember the model but they supposedly put out 3000w each. He is putting up low 150's. With a high of 151.8. But at the same time he is averaging destroying a pair of subs every comp. Once again the dependability factor comes into play. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm no stranger to car audio myself and my intent was not to offend those of you who know what you are talking about. However the components that I am reffering to in this particular scenario have been tested and proven to be reliable car audio components in all of my installs. I do agree with you that reiability is and should be a deciding factor in your component purchases. I'm just saying, do the research, talk to the manufacturer, look at the specs to make an informed decision.

No offense taken. We are all here to find the truth as you say. I'm just offering my humble opinion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

When it comes to me spending my money. I research to narrow my choices. Then try to listen to as many pieces of equipmet that I can before I buy it. I don't care who's name is on it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I used to run a pair of doctor Crankenstein subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif And I loved them. They were like twenty bucks buy one get one free. Anybody remember those ?

Yes I do remeber those subs back in the day and as I remmember they were pretty tough subs. I had a friend that had a pair of those and an old Unic amp and it sounded great. Also thanks for your comments I really appreciate talking to you and hearing an informed opinion.

No problem. That's why most of us are hear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah they sounded nice. I had them about the time the Fosgate released the audiophile series of subs. And kicker just introduced their first line of the kicker competion subs. I'm starting to feel old //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif must go .....and cry now .... remembering the days.... of the crankenstein subs.........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I bet you have a good install...that is why I totally agree with ramos's signature. I too was killer with my audiobahns...I however, don't like Pyramid as I find them unreliable.

I agree with you Rangerman that for the most part Pyramid over the years has not produced many good products and sometimes not even average but I'm convinced that thier new PB2400D is a very solid very efficient class d that deserves some recognition.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think the rating is pretty close. I mean I'm running my Audiobahns at a 2ohm load and the amp says they are getting 1500w rms, and I talked to one of the Audiobahn tech support guys and he said that the AW1005X's are underated and should be able to handle 1500w rms. Unfortunately I have'nt been able to bench test that amp yet but it sure pounds the crap out of those subs. and so far in just day to day driving it has never shut down and I'm from Arizona and now I live in Texas so it does get pretty hot here and that amp hardly breaks a sweat.

So they hired english linguists that could'nt read or write english, that still does not diminish what this amp can do. And frankly it can't be beat for 240$!

Oh I can think of a couple try a lightnig audio storm s1000.1 or a jbl 1200.1 the LA is cheaper than the pyramid and the jbl is only like 15 bucks more I would probally go with one of those before the pyramid but I see where you commin from I just did a install with a pair of 12 inch jensen subs with a Rockford fosgate 150@1 amp and I will tell you I was very impressed for 29 bucks you cant beat these subs they are beating entry level fosgates, LA audios, mtxs, ppis, phoenix golds and so many more It did take quite a bit of effort but man does it sound good for a 500 dollar system he hit a 139 last saturday it was great we keep tweaking the system and he has'nmt had to replace anything yet he is planning on gettin 2 more and 2 rockford fosgate 200@1 mono amps it should reach the mid 140s easy so just goes to show you that if installed right you can have a good cheap system and beat the name brands.

I was'nt too impressed with the LA 1000.1. I did'nt think it had enough power and it got pretty hot but the JBL I have not seen. My slogan has always been "DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE." So I agree that expensive does not always mean the best. It sounds like those Jensens were rockin. What type of enclosure were they put in? Sealed, Tuned ported,or my not so favorite Bandpass. Or something else?

It was a 2.1 cubic ft sealed dual chambered box wired down into a two ohm load and man I was impressed. And I dont understand what these people are doing but we tried and tried and we could'nt get those LA amps to shut off nor did they get too hott but they were gettin pretty toasty at 1ohm and .5 ohms still hott but have seen other good amps like zapco and mephis amps get hotter at .5ohms but it did have the fan module and another fan running on it so that did help out alot but basically they are great amps the JBLs are monsters all three amps are around the same price and wattage. Now back to the Jensens in your next install I suggest you buy a few of them you can pick em up at any friggin wallmart LOL but they are really no joke I am quite impressed and I think people who use them will be as well for the price. They do sound the best at high volume aka dbs in bandpass but I hate BP as well and love sealed nor care too much for ported but can handle it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.