RL-p vs XXX

i dunno yet..first i'm going to reduce volume in the current box which will raise tuning...i'm going to shoot for 1.9ft^3 and tuned around 34-35hz...

see what happens then and then build all new..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

It's tommorrow....where's the new results?!?!

jsut finished..lol

same vehicle, same power (750wrms,still gotta run wire for the orion) same box ONLY i've slugged it to around 1.9ft^3 tuned to 34 hz and i must say WOW!

both subs love this box...both subs get loud(er) and i didn't really notice any loss on the bottom end.

the noises i heard, i've determined to just be the subs actually reproducing the kick in the kick drum. i stuck my ear up next to both and i heard the exact same "noise"..lol...

they are both extremely accurate subs....i can't wait to throw more power at them as they still aren't quite loud enough for me.

now this last part is wholely subjective..i prefer the sound of the rl-p. nothing against the xxx, which loves ported, but at this stage, i like the rl-p over the xxx sound wise.

1200wrms is on it's way this evening...i gotta go gut my truck!!

btw...now that noone is flaming, comparing these too subs has been awesome!! both are wonderful drivers and i'm enjoying the hell outa myself beating the hell outa both of these badboys!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

now this last part is wholely subjective..i prefer the sound of the rl-p. nothing against the xxx, which loves ported, but at this stage, i like the rl-p over the xxx sound wise.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
i love the comparo!!! keep it up!

could i ask why you like the RL-p over the XXX soundwise?

i'm not trying to start ****...just wondered your reasoning.

as i am considering 2 RL-p 15's:)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

btw...now that noone is flaming,
What the hell are you doing!! The XXX needs more power!! DDuuuuuhhhhhh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/jk.gif.ba617e50836573747a97050af2b21696.gif

Can't wait to read the next round of reviews //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

lmfao. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Keep it comin! Quit bein a pu$$y and run that cable, ****it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

yuh everyone knows that running 500 watts more makes your speaker play 3 octives lowwer and quadrupples its output lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

ok..ok..

same vehicle, boxed changed to 1.9ft^3 (give or take a tenth or so) tuned to 34hz

the orion is in...pics later..

ran both subs at 1200wrms before the wife took control of her rl-p and demanded it be put back in her car...

here is what i have learned..

the noises at higher volumes...was the memphis amp. with the orion, neither sub made anything but pure bass. the memphis was a loaner and the actual owner beats the hell outa everything (he's blown two eclipse ti's..the second time around, the sub actually broke in two..yep, the magnet fell off)

ok..onto the comparo

where do i start? with the smaller, tuned higher box, both subs just sing. loud and low...it's almost a dead heat..except..

to me the rl-p is cleaner. each note is crisper, regardless of volume. it just stays clean, low and loud.

the xxx is the louder of the two. it tends to blend notes together, but makes up for it with good lows and great output.

one of my favorite tracks to play is Europe's "It's the final countdown"..the intro is kewl as hell...both subs shook the hell outa the truck...same with outkast's speakerboxx album intro..gets low and has some serious kickdrum type bass. both subs just knocked the hell outa me..lol...

in the end only a couple of things seperate these subs.

space. the rl-p is definitely the sub to get if space is at a premium. it can reproduce lows in sealed enviroments that the xxx just can't reach. space isn't a problem? get the xxx.

power. under 1000wrms, the rl-p is the better sub. over 1000wrms, i'd suggest the xxx. not that the rl-p had any trouble with 1200wrms, but it would have preferred it in a sealed box, or even smaller ported one. the xxx took a licking and kept on tickin..i'm going to throw the 2500wrms at it tomorrow.

budget. the rl-p is definitely the better bang for the buck. all the sq of the xxx and most of it's output. plus, it works great with less power and smaller enclosures...so all around it cna save u money.

overall, here are my final impressions...

xxx:

if money, space and power isn't a problem. this is a great subwoofer. it has the sq of the rl-p with the output of a spl sub. it can take gobs of power and sounds good doing it. it does want large sealed boxes and ported ones to get real low, but in the right box, with the right power, it does indeed get low and loud. it is a lil more picky concerning enclosures and it does like power. but it does indeed do a fine job with half it's rms..it just needs a larger box to do what it can do.

rl-p:

if space, power and money is at a premium, definitely this is the sub to buy. it does great in a variety of enclosures from small sealed to medium ported. gets low in all of them..real low. gets loud too, not quite the spl machine the xxx is, but it can hold it's own with the right box. it can take more then rated power wise, but i don't think it can compete overall with the xxx in that catagory. this its the better sounding of the two,IMO. the bass was crisper throughout the volume knob. it's a great sub at a great price.

if a person properly addresses what he's going to do and what he is after, u can't go wrong with either of these subs. but if a person buys one thinking it'll do everything, he's in for a big disappointment. these two subs are extremely close in performance and sound. but they each have their likes and dislikes. i believe i have two winners on my hands here, if put in the proper application.

i hope this was as informational for u as it was fun for me (except for wiring my truck and listening to my wife ***** about tradeing her camera). while i didn't find an end all for subs, neither sub fits that bill, what i have are two great sounding subs which are great all around performers if given what they want. sql at it's finest!!

i can't wait to hear a magnum, a brahma and an ascedent sub. see how they stack up against these two!

remember, no one sub is the king of the hill, because all hills are different........

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Great post, mrray!
I know it must have already been posted a grip of times, but im having a bit of trouble finding it, where can you get the soundsplitter subs from?

http://www.soundsplinter.com

tell mike mrray sent ya..lol

jellyfish...

i like the rl-p more because the kick in kickdrum is more pronounced, and stays that way no matter the volume. it just likes to play music. u can hear every note, every transititon and it's smooth about it. not that the xxx isn't, IMO, the rl-p does a better job of doing it. it's neck and neck though..it's all in what u percieve to sound better..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

jellyfish...

i like the rl-p more because the kick in kickdrum is more pronounced, and stays that way no matter the volume. it just likes to play music. u can hear every note, every transititon and it's smooth about it. not that the xxx isn't, IMO, the rl-p does a better job of doing it. it's neck and neck though..it's all in what u percieve to sound better..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
so in your opinion would my 1500watts be better spent powering a single 15XXX or 2 RL-p15's?'

so in your opinion would my 1500watts be better spent powering a single 15XXX or 2 RL-p15's?'

definitely the pair of rl-p's...

the rl-p one on one can run with the xxx, even though i believe the xxx to be louder. but it won't beat a pair of rl-p's..i'd bet on that! increased cone area alone with xmax that's real close says that.

plus by feeding a pair of subs 750wrms each, compared to feeding one sub 1500wrms, ur being more efficient and losing less power as heat in each sub.

and i think the rl-p's sound a lil better too!!

and u can get 2 rl-p's for just about the price of one xxx....

and it is two against one.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

i can't wait to hear a magnum, a brahma and an ascedent sub. see how they stack up against these two!
Well, if you make that trip over this way like you wanted to earlier.....audiolife has an Atlas (not sure if it's up and running yet) and skeptikal has a magnum (not sure if his is up and running yet either..LOL) and they both live about 30 minutes from me (in opposite directions though).

remember, no one sub is the king of the hill, because all hills are different........
That's nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif Someone should put that in their sig //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So, mrray, in your experiences with the subs, did adding the extra power have this drastic affect on the XXX like "everyone" made it seem, or did it just boost the overall output slightly??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mrray13

10+ year member
uz some fegbags
mrray13
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date