Right Tweet is 4 times Louder than the Left

LoneStarWings
10+ year member

Hi, I'm having a weird problem with my bi-amped component system.

It's a DEH-P880PRS head unit going to a JBL GTO1004 (100 x 4) amp with the front channels powering to Image Dynamics XS28 tweeter and the rears power two XS65 mids.

My problem is the left tweeter is about 40 db quieter than the right tweeter. I tried switching the the wires at the amp but the right tweeter still sounds fine when being power off the left channel. I've also checked the RCA connectinos and they're solid. It just started doing this randomly a few days ago. Really the left tweet is barely audible. I also tried connecting a different, brand new tweet to the left side wiring same side and had similair results. Any suggestions on what could be causing this? I've double checked every setting that I know of on the HU.

I've never encountered anything like this. The left tweeter sounds okay timber wise, I just have to crank the HU volume to near max to hear much out of it, wheras the right tweet is blaringly loud at that volume setting.

Thanks in advance.

rca output on player going bad, rca input on the amp going bad, output for speaker going bad on amp...... good luck
Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't the fact that the Right Tweet still plays at full volume when connected to the left tweet output on the amp rule out all those problems?

It seems to me that the only problem at this point could be the speaker wire? But it's hard to imagine a short in the speaker wire just causing a volume reduction....seems like it would be all or nothing.

if you are using both the left and right rca outputs and inputs one is for the right and one is for the left. the left ones MAY be going bad not the right one. any of the wires may be bad as well.

could be a phase problem
normally phase doesn't affect a tweeter, at least not very much output wise. I'd run a temp wire from amp to the tweeter and see how it sounds. Then try switching RCA's. You need to keep eliminating points of failure...

Are you using a crossover? If you have the wires connected to the crossover backwards the highs will go to the woofers and lows to the tweeter. I hope this isn't the case as you've probably damaged the tweeter by now by turning it up loud.

Are you using a crossover? If you have the wires connected to the crossover backwards the highs will go to the woofers and lows to the tweeter. I hope this isn't the case as you've probably damaged the tweeter by now by turning it up loud.
The crossover is the Head Unit, the DEH-P880PRS. It's a higher end unit and has a built in 3-way active crossover. The tweeters are crossed over at 3,150 hz (high pass) at 24db/oct. Basically the HU high passes the front RCA's and Bandpasses the Rears, everything goes to the 4 channel amp after that, with crossovers on the amp defeated. The mid and tweet are definitely not mixed up. I haven't changed the wiring since it was originally installed and working fine, plus the midrange on the same side is playing fine.

The balance and fader are also all centered.

The HU has active phase adjustments, the left tweet sounds distant and weak rather the phase is normal or reversed. It sounds equally weak playing by itself or along with the other speakers.

Running a new speaker wire from the amp to the tweet sounds like my best chance at solving it at this point. Like I said when I connect my right tweet to the left tweet output of the amp, the right tweet still sound fine.

can you take the tweeter directly to the amp? or run a diffrent power source to the tweets and see what happens.
Nah, it's flush mounted to the door panel and behind a speaker grill that I can't really take off without taking the panel off......but I can take the door panel off and run a new 10 ft speaker wire straight to it and see if that does the trick. If that fixes it I guess I'll need to re-run the speaker wire, if not I dunno what's up. Really kinda confusing since it doesn't seem like a bad speaker wire, but I don't know what else it could be.

try that and let me know what happens. if that doesn't work we'll try some other things and since the door panel is coming off anyways leave it off after you run the new wire. that way i'll be easier to access the tweet. or even better after you take it off pop the tweet out

that happened to me and my speaker was double grounded.. I didn't have an amp running it tho, so you have a lot more places to mess up... just sayin

Do you have the Time Alignment stuff turned on? It might be trying to compensate for the driver position? Just a guess. Sounds like either a HU setting or a short in the speaker wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.