Rf punch 150, fixable at home?

Participant count
  • Participant list

IgnoreMe
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
caraudio.com
Amp was making a high pitch noise, I smacked it like 5 times and it went away then came back tried it again and it stopped working. tried to power on and off and this is what I found after it stopped making popping noises.

is this possible to fix at home? These parts available outside of rockford fosgate?

IMAG0009.jpg

You can replace the fets on that same board but it is going to be pretty tough for somebody not familiar with amp repairs. I can't tell from the pics if those are the outputs or the power supply fets but you should be able to find originals or at least something that will work from a place like Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor , Electronic Components Distributor | DigiKey Corp. | US Home Page , or http://www.mcmelctronics.com . You just need to get the part number off of the individual fets and type it in at mouser,digikey, or mcm and see if they have it. There are many other parts suppliers as well but those are a few of the best. If those are power supply fets you may want to change or at least verify that the gate resistors are still within tolerance and also check to see if the power supply driver transistors are shorted if this amp uses any.

Amp was making a high pitch noise, I smacked it like 5 times and it went away then came back tried it again and it stopped working. tried to power on and off and this is what I found after it stopped making popping noises.
is this possible to fix at home? These parts available outside of rockford fosgate?
Nothing like a lil red neck engineering to get your amp back up and running, Just beat it like you would your wife/girlfriend it will get back inline for a week or so then it will mouth off again.

good luck!

It is possible that you could replace those transistors without having to source and replace that mehsa board that the fets are mounted to. You would have to come up with your own way to insulate and clamp down the new fets but it can be done without that mehsa board. Rockford uses those boards because it speeds up the assembly process mostly. It is really good at drawing the heat away from the fets but with a little work you could probably come up with a reliable solution. In all reality though if you don't have the equipment on hand to try and tackle this repair you should probably leave it to a pro or somebody with a little experience with this kind of work. If you were going to replace that whole little board there is most likely a part number or code printed on it. That along with the model number of the amp and you may be able to get that board from rockford. You will still need to check the gate resistors and power supply driver transistors/ chip though too.

MESHA strips are a royal PITA to work with. Next on the docket are the micro components on the circuit board. I hate to say it, but this isn't the best project for a first time amplifier repair.

Yeah those smd gate resistors would be ****** enough to deal with let alone that mehsa strip. If you have to ask if this is fixable you probably shouldn't even attempt this repair. I would practice on some easier/less expensive amps before trying this out.Not to say this amp is awesome but it would be a real pain in the **** to fix with no experience. You can find cheapo blown amps all day on ebay. Your friends may even have some they would give you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.